inTank Media Baskets

Ultra low maintenance tank??

redneckvampire

redneckvampire

After trying many different products over the years, including salt, additives, foods, filters, and skimmers. It seems like it hasn't prospered as much as when I started out with a bio-wheel that I cleaned regularly and 2 gal. change every 2 weeks with IO salt and water from the vending machine filters. What gives? Does this mean that a reef will adapt to a constant supply of what it needs from salt alone, even if it is lower than what it needs vs. having elevated and more variable levels of nutrients that additives provide?

In other words who’s having great success with just regular water changes and cleaning or maybe only adds one product to the top off water.

i have actually both with sucessful results... in college i had a 10 tank... for 2 years the only thing i did was top of the water and some amazing things grew in there... the red and pink coraline growth took over the whole tank... now i have a 30 gallon where i do a daily 1 gallon water change.. and it seems to be performing just as well. except for the fact i can see in the tank nows =P

Both of my tanks a 55 and a 10 are almost completly maintenance free. All I do is top off and prune my xenia because it grows so freaken fast. My 10 I set up completly from the Sebastion Inlet here in Fl even water and the 55 I just got rock from the inlet but I dont do any water changes or anything and everything is doing great.( knocking on wood)

Archived