ReefCleaners.org

Should clowns be in pairs? Clown panic

cirionrc

I have a percula clown and he swims all around trying to get out like he is panicing. I heard that clown should always be in pairs. He swims funny at night too. Is this normal? Is it because of the lionfish? Would a koran angel, 2 damsels, a p. clown, a snowflake moray, and a flame angel be compatible with each other. I was thinking of taking the lion out. He tries to eat anything that is swimming. I tried to train him on frozen but he didn't eat for a week. He just tried to eat the damsels all the time. Any suggestions.

my last two clowns were kept singly, no problem. it actually became a problem when i put them together.

both being alpha females one had to lose X) (the mated males both died in accidents-one was a noted overflow explorer and the other was a salted fish).

i was hoping one of the females would just regress back to a male. no such luck. :*(

Yeah, unfortunately clown females are females for life.

Anyway, clowns do not need to be kept in pairs. Your percula is being stressed by something other than loneliness. Is he new to the tank? He could act funny for up to a week if he is. OTherwise, it could be the tankmates. How big of a tank is this? If you say in your sig, not everyone can see it, as some of us have sigfiles turned off.

You have several very territorial fish in your tank... the two damsels and the clown, one plain aggressive fish (the angel), and two predator fish (lion and eel).

If I were added to that tank, I'd feel awfully uneasy, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a side note; Chromis, Snowflake Morays can be kept with small fish, fish small enough to fit in their mouths infact. Snowlflake Morays eat inverts, such as shrimp, squid, crabs etc.

Very rarely will they eat other fish, and if they do, it is because they are litterally starving to death.

James:)

Um...don't koran angels get huge? As in, way too big for a 72g tank?

>[the lionfish] tries to eat anything that is swimming.

I'd say your clownfish is justifiably paranoid of the lionfish.

BTW, a week isn't long enough a "training period" to wean a lionfish from live food. Lionfish and some other predators can go that long without food without blinking.

I'd move the lionfish and the koran angel to a different -- bigger!! -- tank. Say, around 150-220g.

Archived