inTank Media Baskets

Freakishly Large Amphipod, or something more sinister?

LJR

I saw something in my aquarium that I didn't put there, first off, and second, was moving way too fast for me to be comfortable with. I noticed what appeared to be a ridiculously large amphipod, that was about the size and color of a large pill bug (yes, I realize that pill bugs are isopods, but I got a good enough look at this critter to be pretty sure it wasn't). It was right on top of a margarita snail that seems to be on its way out, but definitely isn't dead yet. Should I be worried about this monster running around my tank? My five gallon nano has no fish to eat it, so it probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Hey I'm no expert on these things but I have found the same size ones while changing my filter media. I wonder if they are the adult stage of the pods we purchase for our fishes. If you think these guys are creepy do some searches for huge pods. I saw one the size of a small watermelon with some nasty hooks to hang on to some unlucky creature.

A different animal but similar. 

I would leave it be as part of the CUC myself.

• Like 1

I have an amphipod culture so I can feed them to my seahorses.  I have seen some pretty big ones there, easily a half inch long.  They are not dangerous, (except to fry and dwarf seahorses)and make an excellant cuc.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, vlangel said:

I have an amphipod culture so I can feed them to my seahorses.  I have seen some pretty big ones there, easily a half inch long.  They are not dangerous, (except to fry and dwarf seahorses)and make an excellant cuc.

Glad to hear they're peaceful, hope they can make themselves useful. I'll leave it be, but I'll probably still be a bit anxious whenever my hand goes in that tank...

12 hours ago, jambon said:

Hey I'm no expert on these things but I have found the same size ones while changing my filter media. I wonder if they are the adult stage of the pods we purchase for our fishes. If you think these guys are creepy do some searches for huge pods. I saw one the size of a small watermelon with some nasty hooks to hang on to some unlucky creature.

A different animal but similar. 

I would leave it be as part of the CUC myself.

I'll probably leave it be, I can't track it down anyway. It doesn't seem like the kind of animal that could be much of a parasite. Also, is this the animal you're referring to? It's a giant isopod.

18ri6hobnxsrzjpg.jpg