Coral Vue Hydros

Black and white clownfish

LooneyBadger

LooneyBadger

Its really weird, through the night he turns really pale and lethargic. But once I turn on the lights in the morning he perks right back up again and color comes back. Any suggestions? Water parameters are good, just did a 20% water change Tuesday. 

LooneyBadger

He passed away. He was still eating, active and colorful. But only while lights were on. Sucks he passed but hoping to learn why?

45 minutes ago, LooneyBadger said:

He passed away. He was still eating, active and colorful. But only while lights were on. Sucks he passed but hoping to learn why?

How long have you had it For?  Take ph levels periodically throughout the day. 

Sorry to hear that Looney.  How often do you perform the water changes?  Also, can you post to water parameters.  Have they been at these same levels for the past few weeks?  Also, how old is your tank?  When was the cycle finished?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
LooneyBadger

My diamond goby passed last night too. Which may have been a blessing in disguise. (The lfs sold it to me as a blenny, im a newbie) all thats left in the tank now is 3 scarlet hermits. I was going to leave it going, doing bi weekly water changes. But i just dont understand what happend

Water parameters 

HR PH 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nirite 0ppm

Nirate 5ppm

I dont have a test kit yet for phosphates

How old is the tank?

Is there surface water movement? 

Is the tank covered?

Any temp issues?

Salinity? Do you top up daily with freshwater?

What water are you using?

LooneyBadger

The tank is 3 months almost 4. I have surface agitation, temps always consistant at 79-80, salinity is .028. Covered lid with one hole for feeding (i dont really use it) and i top off water daily with "drinking water" from walmart. (Was told its ro)

Your salinity is too high.

It should be 1.025 or 1.026

Ro water is fine for drinking but its not the best for tank use. There is still stuff in it. The maintenance on the machines is not always up to par therefore the water quality is questionable.

Using distilled is better. Its pure water with nothing in it.

The lid being on the tank could cause gas exchange issues,  its best to open it up somehow or go with a mesh lid.

LooneyBadger
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Your salinity is too high.

It should be 1.025 or 1.026

Ro water is fine for drinking but its not the best for tank use. There is still stuff in it. The maintenance on the machines is not always up to par therefore the water quality is questionable.

Using distilled is better. Its pure water with nothing in it.

The lid being on the tank could cause gas exchange issues,  its best to open it up somehow or go with a mesh lid.

The lfs had theirs at .28 so i raised mine a bit so it wasnt such a shock, ive been slowly getting it down. Ive asked many people about the water im using and they said its the best. I was thinking about changing out the lid, but the light sits in the lid.