Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sand bed replacement

Keto_Reefer

Keto_Reefer

I have slowly removed my sand bed over the last 6 weeks. It was about a year old. I have left my rocks in the tank, hoping this won't cause another cycle. I am planning to replace with black sand maybe an inch thick or little less, probably half of what I had.

Anyone have tips or suggestions on the easiest & cleanest way to put in the new sand causing the least cloudiness?

1 minute ago, Keto_Reefer said:

I have slowly removed my sand bed over the last 6 weeks. It was about a year old. I have left my rocks in the tank, hoping this won't cause another cycle. I am planning to replace with black sand maybe an inch thick or little less, probably half of what I had.

Anyone have tips or suggestions on the easiest & cleanest way to put in the new sand causing the least cloudiness?

Use a pipe to place the sand in the tank. 

You could rinse the sand thoroughly with RO/DI prior to adding it to the tank to prevent it from clouding up the tank.  In fact, if you have corals in the tank this is probably necessary.  I don't know this for sure, but it would seem that the silicate cloud caused by adding un-rinsed sand could leave a dust coating all over the tank and potentially be harmful to livestock.  Someone with more experience in this area feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  If not harmful then at least very unsightly.

• Like 1