SaltCritters.com

Macro Cleaner Crew

Dos Ocho

Hello all! I am looking to start a new tank soon. Gonna do softies, LPS, and macroalgae. Wondering what you all use for cleaners that will leave the macros alone. I'm liking crabs less and less as my current Biocube evolves, so I'd like to stick to snails and stars. Not a big shrimp fan but I've never had them in my tank. Purely asthestic reason.

i have shaving brush plants in my current tank but want a greater variety of plants in the next one. My Astrea and Cerith snails leave the shaving brush alone and in my current tank the Astreas have been GHA eating machines so they are my first pick. I'd love to hear what works for you folks. Thanks.

Trochus snails look sweet! I'll have to get a few. I think I'd like to take some of my current Astreas and send them into the new tank and add other snails to both. I've always thought Turbos are ugly so never had much interest. 

My Hermit crabs were entertaining at first. But now I see them as bumbling drunks stumbling around my tank. I guess they earn their keep though.

When the new tank comes, I'll probably start a journal on here. Where do you get your macros? My LFS has limited selection. I've had good experience with Live Aquaria and Aquarium Depot has some interesting varieties. 

Beware of aquarium depot. They rarely have what they list in stock and will substitute for you (I ordered red grape once and the subbed for chaeto - which I did not need). The quality is also generally horrible with their macro algae.

look at live-plants.com 

• 1 month later...

I've actually abandoned this tank idea for now. I have set up a new 10 gallon, but i don't think i'll have much room for macro. Maybe down the road when i can make the commitment to a bigger tank. 

I find crabs interesting but they are very disruptive in my tank. i have 6 hermits and they stumble all over the place and knock stuff over and crawl all over my shaving brush plants and bust off strands of the plant all the time. So no major crab hate, i just find them annoying. 

I am sending all 6 hermits to my new 10 gallon when it is ready and they can ransack the place all they want!