Cultivated Reef

Return pump for 20L with 10G sump. DCT vs Sicce?

musicsmaker

musicsmaker

I want my return pump to be my main ONLY source of flow. I've been looking at the Jebao DCT 4000 and the Sicce Syncra line of return pumps. Both of these are touted as being super quiet. I'm wondering about heat. Does restricting the flow on the outlet side of a pump with a valve cause it to run hotter? If I go with the Sicce, I'd like to get one that is a bit oversized for my current needs, so I can use it in the future when I upgrade to a larger tank.

Any input would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sicce 1.5 I use for water changes and I think its a pretty good pump.  Definitely not as quiet as many claim but far quieter than my mag 5 return...

Heat wise I believe the amount of watts used will determine which is hotter.  Since the DCT is a dc pump (I think?) it will probably run cooler at lower wattage.

Like above, DC will run cooler and quieter. AC probably more reliable in the long run, but that's just anecdotal. 

I switched from a sicce syncra silent 2 to RO varios 2.  The sicce is quiet but not 'silent' where as you can't even tell the varios is running until you hit 70+ %. 

Depending on your plumbing and the length of return for head loss, if you want it to be your ONLY source of flow, sicce 3 would be the oversized choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
MainelyReefer

I have the jebao dct4000 in my fusion 40 and it's great. Only been running for 2 months so no longevity experience but the adjustable flow and feed button sold me and it has been great and relatively quiet, it's got more of a whir kind of noise where as my stock pump had a clickey slapping noise so this is preferable, no experience with the sicce though

If you're willing to look at a few more options, I'd suggest the Eheim Compact series of return pumps. I had a DC 3000 pump that lasted for about two years, before it started acting up and finally failing. The Eheim 2000 Compact uses about the same energy as the DC and is dead quiet. Tunze also makes smaller very quiet pumps as well. Personally I've had 4 DC pumps fail on me in the past year between my skimmer pump and return, all of which were cleaned regularly. I'll pass on DC pumps from now on.

+1 for the eheim I have them on my larger reef quite and reliable  + warranty for 3 years i believe.   however I have be told the smaller compacts dont do well with head loss.

I have one for an ATS I am building looking at 1.5'-2'  of head just to make sure i have the flow I need. so calculate all your plumbing with turns, etc. to make sure you get the flow you need.

how high does it need to push?   

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2017 at 11:47 AM, devaji108 said:

+1 for the eheim I have them on my larger reef quite and reliable  + warranty for 3 years i believe.   however I have be told the smaller compacts dont do well with head loss.

I have one for an ATS I am building looking at 1.5'-2'  of head just to make sure i have the flow I need. so calculate all your plumbing with turns, etc. to make sure you get the flow you need.

how high does it need to push?   

I don't have that issue with mine, it may also be determined by the number of turns like any other pump. Mine will push enough water to max out my overflow with the Compact 2000+ pushing water up about 4.5 feet. I actually end up running my pumps at reduced flow rate anyway and using vortechs or other powerheads for flow, as I want the highest contact time possible in my protein skimmer and fuge areas, but when I turn the pump all the way up as I do every so often to stir things up, it's still pushing plenty. 

My DCT4000 failed after ~10 months.  I'm pretty sure it was the power brick and not the controller card but I never confirmed it.  Luckily I was home when it happened.  Plenty of push for a 20H at ~4.5 ft of head though.

I took the plunge and went with an EcoTech Vectra M1 for a replacement.  100% silent.