Coral Vue Hydros

$200 to spend

M0E

I have a 10 gallon and have probably spent about 300 dollars in tank, filters, supplies, fish, etc....not to mention that eventually salt and more test kits will need to be bought and things break. I would personally wait and just gain more money.

This is my nano tank less then 3 weeks old :)

10 gallon tank 10.99

Whisper Power Filter 10 13.95

Whisper Sub Heater 5-15 19.99

JBJ Sub Powerhead SP1300 14.99

Oceanic Salt 50 gal 24.99

IO Hydrometer 10.39

Quick Dip pH Test Strips 10.39

Quick Dip Nitrate/Nitrite 15.99

Mag-Float 10.99

LCD Marina Thermometer 2.99

LR Fiji 6,5 bls 33.34

LS Indo-Pacfic 24.99

Kent Reef Starter 12.99

Kent Marine Starter 10.99

Kent PhytoPlex 9.99

Purple Zoo's 10.00

Mushrooms 5.00

Starter Fish 3.29

______

Total 258.24

10galtankcopy1.gif?bfSLDMBBfTxyFvmS

Hope this helps :)

Shawn

adin and von digity are right. it can be done cheap. after all a REEF tank is just the live rock, and live rock needs minimal light. a home depot shop light (10 bucks) would EASILY work for the first 3 months.

all you REALLY need to get started;

10g tank ...10 bucks

simple light ... pendant with a twisty screw in flourescent ..10 bucks

aquaclear hang on back filter ... 25 bucks

powerhead...12 bucks (you could easily skip this)

heater...20 bucks

sand... 20 bucks (or skip this and go bare bottom or add it later)

uncured live rock ....60 bucks.

test kit...20 bucks

10g premixed salt water from store.. 5 bucks

total cost...185 bucks. put it all together and let it cure under those simple lights for 2 months and you have a reef tank.

people like to advise that just because THEY bought all their stuff at the beginning EVERYONE must buy their stuff in the beginning. people like to advise that because THEY spent a lot of money EVERYONE must spend a lot of money. on a LOT of the above tank lists i see protein skimmers, even though you in no way NEED a skimmer, they are completely a voluntary expenditure.

adin and von digity are respected veterans of this hobby.

nalbar

..bah I got you all beat hehe ;)

.75 gallon tank on sale 16.00 w/light and Filter

Lr rock rubble from LFS free!

(livestock soon to be plucked from other tanks, but if not....lets pretend i had to buy it)

3 zoa frags from cheapie bin 30.00

2 Mushroms from cheapier bin 20.00

total cost

66.00 ;)

5.5 aga tank 10 bucks

10 lbs of sand 10 bucks

10 lbs kaelini lr 30 bucks

diy rain gutter 20w 50/50 light 30 bucks

one maxi jet 600 13 dollars plus gas money to pick it up at marine depot

premixed salt water @ 60 cents a gallon

the other stuff later

a fish

cheap zoo frags at 10 dollars a frag

test kits

When I first got into this hobby I didn't know anyone. I relied on what the local fish stores told me.

I think you should save that $200 go on here and reef-central meet some people.

A lot of people have tanks up that they really don't even need or want to take care of.

I have a tank that didn't cost me much to set up and would sell it for $200.

The famous Minibow 7 I think I've seen them in the classiefied.

If you want mine it will have to be a local pickup. Unless which you want to pay for shipping which I don't think you would want to do.

I would never pay for corals. Local Reefers will give them for free. I also would not pay for live rock, foood, or anything expcept the ennitial fees for getting started.

I am not going to just tell of the site how to do all this but if you PM i will.

Anyway if you are interesed in a full established tank with LR and LS pm me. I'll sell it to you for $200 bucks.

I would never pay for corals. Local Reefers will give them for free.

Unfortunately Moe probably does not have any local reefer friends, and nether do I. :(

kappa is right on. here is what I'd do if i were to set up another tank...

5 gallon tank - $5

glass cover - $10-15

Coralife Aqualight - $35

powerhead - $30

HOB filter - $30

$115 if I'm right

You don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money to have a nice little reef. In a 5 gallon tank a HOB filter may be all the water circulation you need, and it gives you the ability to create a mini refugium in it (providing you take out all the filter media). A 5 gallon tank WITH a power comapct lgiht close to the water and a powerhead operating in it prolly does not need a heater. You keep the tank at room temperature and the heat generated by the lights/powerhead will be enough to keep it going. worse comes to worse spend $25 on a small 50 watt heater.

so that'd be $140. Those Aqualights are dual 9 watt bulbs, one 10k and one actinic -> 18 watts PC. In a shallow 5 gallon tank thats definately enough for what you're looking to do

now use the remaining $60 to spring for test kits. get 8ish lbs of live rock (get rock that is very porous) for about $40-50 and 5-8 lbs of live sand for $25. Couple snails, hermits, and you're good to go!

now its the corals (also known as reef hobbyist cocaine) that gets exspensive :)

• 1 month later...

Don't Use Playsand, ie sand made for a sand box!!!!!!! This will cause you to have an abnormally amount of algae. The play sands are not all that "pure" and contain phosphates which algae will thrive on.

matt the fiddler

" but, if you top off and use premixed water, you theoretically would never need to use a hydrometer or refractometer."

umm

1- LFS emploies some times get it wrong. one bad screw up and you are ...screwed

2- you need one.

Archived