ReefCleaners.org

Filtration Suggestions?

NanoReefer27

NanoReefer27

I have a 14g Biocube, has been running for a year and a half with a Damsel and Clown along with a cleaner shrimp, 3 or 4 turbo snails, hermit crabs, emerald crab.

I have some zoas, big frogspawn, hammer, kenya, GSP on back wall. 

Everything is doing pretty well, but I was wondering if I should add media.  I am currently just using a filter pad on chamber number one beyond the slits, nothing in chamber 2 and a little pouch of chemipure blue and a sponge (cleaned regularly) before the return pump.  

Should I add anything to my media/ get rid of anything?  Really I am just trying to make good better, any improvements would help.

Nano sapiens

What is you definition of "Making good better?".  If things are going along well, then keep doing what you are doing.  Keep up with water changes and regular maintenance and let the system continue maturing.  If you are diligent, then the aquarium has a good chance of getting even better with age.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
39 minutes ago, NanoReefer27 said:

Just looking for suggestions, I do not tend to think that I have achieved perfection.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I think that if you were to ask any of the reef 'Masters' (as Mike Paletta calls them in his articles on R2R) if they have reached 'perfection' in their reef tanks, they'd say "No way" and point out at least a few things that could be changed/improved upon.  Part of the enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating) challenge of this hobby :) 

yungKitten

If things look good to you, don't rock the boat. Unless you get some SPS I wouldn't worry about changing anything. Most of your corals like the water a bit "dirty" anyways.

I wouldn't add anything. Filter floss and carbon is pretty much it.

Phos removers if there is phos issues.

The only thing i don't recommend are sponges because they are nutrient factories even when washed. They are generally used for fw.

CronicReefer

There is nothing you should change if you are not having any problems. Nutrient export on small tanks is done best with water changes anyway. If you had something bigger we could talk about methods of denitrification but on a tank your size, water changes are quickest and easiest way to maintain water quality. 

• Like 1

I support the above responses.  I use filter cartridge (with carbon), though I am more interested in the former as opposed to the later.  I do use Phosguard, but more so because I have found it helps keep my green hair algae in check.