Top Shelf Aquatics

Bioballs?

zohar78

As with any hobby or market, technology and techniques move forward. It seems not long long ago, bioballs was common to use.  My LFS has a used 75g with a sump and pump, stand, and led light (nothing special I think its a current usa 48 inch current usa orbit led light)   for 15% less than a new 32led biocube and stand. the sump is basically 2 chambers  bioballs and return pump. I'm considering this over the 32biocube led and 40breeder drilled. I currently only have 25lbs of rock.  Pluses and minuses of bioballs Is it possible to use the sump with bioballs  and the little amount of rock I have for 1 to 2 fish till I get more?

Without live rock as a biofilter, you would need to use bio-media, like bio-balls.  However, if you have live rock, go ahead and remove them.  You can use this space for reactors and/or a skimmer (as well as your heater and other equipment).  My sump has just a single baffle, and it works fine.

• Like 2

Seconded using a skimmer in the first chamber rather than bioballs. Plus rock is... Less fluid than bioballs and will be more agreeable to place in the chamber with the skimmer as well? Also you can put straight up carbon media in the baffle space; I do this!