ReefCleaners.org

Mounting a kessil a160 to 29 gallon biocube hood

Oilers71

I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone made any mods to there biocube hoods to incoperate the kessil led?  I've thought about cutting a 2 1/2" hole in the center of the hood and mounting the light at the top and shinning through the splash guard. I'm just not sure if that would be to much light being only a few inches off the top of the water. Also thought about cutting a section of the hood out just inside the splash guard. Then making a bracket that would hold the light a little higher, maybe 7"-8" above the water, but still protected by the splash guard. Here's a picture of my tank. It's still cycling so I have time to get it figured out. Thanks in advance for the help. 

IMG_1040.JPG

Well I couldn't really find anything on the net so I came up with something. I'm not sure if it's gonna work in the long run but I'm gonna give it a shot. I didn't want to go topless more because of evaporation then anything, and I didn't want to have the move the gooseneck every time I needed to get in the tank. So I made a bracket with some aluminum and mounted it to the hood. Like I said I'm not 100% sure how it's gonna work in the long run but it's worth a shot. 

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

• Like 1
CatfishSoupFTW

what you could possibly do is, ditch the hood, hang the Kessil to the height you would like, or use a goose neck, then just make a screen with a storm door window  kit. I have a 22 gallon rimless cube with a 10 gallon sump. I used a window screen kit to make the frame, and originally also used the screen that comes with it. However it was defusing a lot , so I got some chicken wire of a width I thought would be okay and used that. Been using it for months - no issues. Salt does get onto the frame but maintenance can get it cleaned. You can also remove the lid to have a nice topless look.  I have never had an AIO system, so I dont know how your top off game is like, but with the summer rolling through my evap rate is pretty low. In the winter i do top off more, but my auto top off takes care of it.

is your evaporation or display later levels always changing/aggressive? 

No I don't have aggressive evaporation at all. I have read that once you take the top off you get a lot of evaporation. That's the main reason I've left it on and just mouted my light on the hood. I've taking my hood off and used the gooseneck to hang the light and I love how it looks. I was just concerned about the evaporation. I may give it a try and see if there's how much I get. 

CatfishSoupFTW

been running topless tanks for a long time, small tanks, big tanks, fresh water, SW and I have always seen this as manageable. With SW just the obvious top off etc will keep you steady but I can't really see much of an issue or at least an issue large enough that would be concerning. Only thing I will say is jumpers do exist. so making a screen lid for when you're not around would be beneficial. 

and it does look much better without the hood doesn't it. XD 

• Like 1
GregEmmitte

I have the kessil A360we on a gooseneck. I used it on my biocube 32 before it inexplicably cracked down the curvature and launched 25 gallons of saltwater into my carpet. It was never in my way and I preferred the open top as it more efficiently allows for exchange of gasses in the water.

your set up looks pretty good but I'd be concerned with the power and UV of the kessil that close to the water.

My A360we is currently hooked on a 60 gallon cube.

Plus with kessils notorious shadowing you need to raise it higher for more spread once you start adding more coral.

I'll echo what others said, you have to mount it little higher. It will look ugly, as you have to cut the hole in the hood bigger. Getting rid of the hood might be better, it will ease temperature control as well. I use a360 in my biocube, with gooseneck 

5 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

I love my kessil. I'm about to purchase the a80 for my 5 gallon.

I have two for each of my pico . They are the best

• Like 1

I ended up taking the top off and raising the light. I like the way the tank looks with the light raised up higher. I love the Kessil A160we on my biocube. I just got my controller for it and love it. 

Now if I can just figure out a good lighting schedule I'll be good to go. I've got it pretty low right now. I only have it ramping up to 40% intensity. 

• Like 2
GregEmmitte

Yea I wouldn't go higher than 40% especially on such a shallow tank. I keep mine at 40-50% and it's 24" deep with the light 10" above the waterline 

• Like 1

Mines mounted about 10" above as well. I just added my first two coral tonight so we will see how they do in the days to come. I got them from an individual that had leds on his tank so I'm hoping the schedule I have them on is suitable. 

• Like 1
CatfishSoupFTW
20 hours ago, zohar78 said:

not meaning to threadjack, but would you recommend kessil?      from what ive read and seen, that's what I want on my tank. (40b) 

do it. there are fan boys for all groups, brands etc, and in the end its your decision. But from my experience, comparison, value and performance I feel that Kessil lights are my most preferred light. Enough that I wouldn't consider any other light design from other manufacturers. The deep blue you can achieve with this light too is beautiful to get some nice pop. The light would look great above any tank - even in a daisy chain . 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I know this thread is old, but thought I’d contribute what I ended up modifying the hood for my Kessil a160we on my biocube 29.

i just removed all hardware and followed the outlines section of the middle of the hood with a Dremel tool to remove it. Kept the splashguard and I think it looks pretty good! Easy adjustment and keeps evaporation down. 

image.jpg

image.jpg