Coral Vue Hydros

Shrimp thing?

Nemo_4_Ever

I found this small shrimp thing (2-3cm long) it looks like a bee? I think its a shrimp at least, it was eating the.. remains of my serpent star (for some reason it just died) its in the rock but I can see it eating a little bit of the starfish in the hole. It kinda quickly runs back in if it sees me? The back of it looks like a bee its 'rear' sticks right out and its striped like a bees behind? Black and kind of white i cant really see it, could it be dangerous to my fish or what? The rest of it is a kinda white colour to.

Gnathophyllum americanum?

google search

Info on LiveAquaria:

The Bumble Bee Shrimp, also known as the Striped Harlequin Shrimp, is common throughout the Indo-Pacific. They are small shrimp only attaining a maximum size of 1 inch. Their body is yellow or white in coloration with black stripes giving them a similar appearance to a bumblebee. The legs and tail may also have orange markings. These shrimp are similar to Harlequin shrimp and feed upon the tube feet of echinoderms.

The Bumble Bee Shrimp is best kept as pairs in a small nano aquarium with moderate light to accommodate easy viewing. They cannot tolerate copper or high nitrates, and iodine levels must be correct and maintained to ensure proper molting.

The Bumble Bee Shrimp will feed upon the tube feet of echinoderms, but do not require them for survival. Offer them pieces of frozen meaty foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, cockle, or small pieces of fish. They should be offered these foods daily.

Cool shrimp, even tho he might have killed your starfish to eat.

Archived