Top Shelf Aquatics

Ricordea Wounded? Long Filaments.

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature

Hi,

I have a Florida Ric that for the last week or more has been spewing brown hair looking stuff from it's mouth. Anyone able to offer any information about this? 

I don't know it it's tentacles or guts or what. 

It hasn't had any stressful event leading up to it, although I did try feeding it a different food maybe a month ago. My other Florida Rics looks great.

Thanks,

IMG_20170525_072925.jpg

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's pooping when it does that. :)

Oh really? Haha. Yay.

Seems like such a lengthy voluminous poop... xD

I assume I shouldn't aid the process or anything and just let nature take its course as it will?

Thanks much Weetabix7!

5 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Oh really? Haha. Yay.

Seems like such a lengthy voluminous poop... xD

I assume I shouldn't aid the process or anything and just let nature take its course as it will?

Thanks much Weetabix7!

YW. 

It's a sign that you're feeding them well, so congrats, lol. 

And yeah, just let it take it's course, it's a healthy sign, no additional fiber needed for their diet. 

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

YW. 

It's a sign that you're feeding them well, so congrats, lol. 

And yeah, just let it take it's course, it's a healthy sign, no additional fiber needed for their diet. 

Thank you very much!

Loving the hobby :)

• Like 1
Just now, SelectedByNature said:

Thank you very much!

Loving the hobby :)

Excellent!!

Start a tank thread on here when you get a chance so we can share the journey with you. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, SelectedByNature said:

Hi,

I have a Florida Ric that for the last week or more has been spewing brown hair looking stuff from it's mouth. Anyone able to offer any information about this? 

I don't know it it's tentacles or guts or what. 

It hasn't had any stressful event leading up to it, although I did try feeding it a different food maybe a month ago. My other Florida Rics looks great.

Thanks,

IMG_20170525_072925.jpg

Hey!, looks like you found yourself a nice Ric! love to see the non-pooping pic :P

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Excellent!!

Start a tank thread on here when you get a chance so we can share the journey with you. 

Well I had to put out ceramic disks on a couple of corals real quick before work so I made a dip solution and I took a closer look at the Ricordea at the same time...

It seems to be a large gash or wound. Although it could be a huge open mouth, but I did find the mouth so I'm assuming wound. 

Could the strings be the Ric expelling zooxanthellae? Or flesh shredding or something like that? Trying to be proactive if he's dying.

Thanks for any insight everyone.

It almost looks like algae.  Is it coming from the coral's tissue or the plug underneath?  Maybe you can get a better focused photo.

How long have you had this Ric?

SelectedByNature
1 minute ago, holy carp said:

It almost looks like algae.  Is it coming from the coral's tissue or the plug underneath?  Maybe you can get a better focused photo.

Hi, I've had it 2 months and 9 days.

I swooshed water into the gap and all I could see was flesh doesn't go right down to the plug. It does look like algae though but I really don't think it is some.

Also today during lunch but different angle.

IMG_20170525_131001.jpg

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, holy carp said:

^^ second that on algae. To me, an injured Ric will look a lot more pissed off than yours. Better pic(s) might help.  I can only see the edge folding over, nothing indicating 'cuts/gash'

What you're seeing might be the 'underside/foot' of the shroom?  Has it been exposed to different flow recently? Ric's and mushrooms are more related to anemone, and can walk/detach itself if they decide they don't like their spots. With that also, you need to do some extra research on 'dipping' ric. I'm not sure if they could/should be treated with typical coral dip.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
15 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

^^ second that on algae. To me, an injured Ric will look a lot more pissed off than yours. Better pic(s) might help.  I can only see the edge folding over, nothing indicating 'cuts/gash'

What you're seeing might be the 'underside/foot' of the shroom?  Has it been exposed to different flow recently? Ric's and mushrooms are more related to anemone, and can walk/detach itself if they decide they don't like their spots. With that also, you need to do some extra research on 'dipping' ric. I'm not sure if they could/should be treated with typical coral dip.

Thanks for the input. 

Well I don't really have any algae other than coralline. Wouldn't it be odd for such a concentration of algae coming out of a coral or..?

It definitely had this when I first got it too. I honestly assumed it was the mouth until today when inspecting it closer I found the actual mouth under the flaps. 

It has definitely grown and seemed otherwise healthy. I don't know! Haha.

I can try to get other pics but not sure how and the lights will be off when I get home tonight sadly. :(

If anyone else had any thoughts I'd be happy to entertain them!

If you take the coral out of the water, it will naturally close up.  Rics will do it pretty quickly, but I personally have more experience with Yumas than Floridas.  If it doesn't close right away, giving it a few quick dunks back in the tank or preferably in a container of tank water, should get it to close up like a little ball.  At that point you should be able to see the surrounding plug and figure out if it's algae or something attached to the plug near the coral's foot.  Peroxide on a cotton swab should be able to take care of algae there pretty easily without irritating the coral too much.  It's not that unusual for algae to be rooted and have coral growing right up against the roots so the strands seem to come up from the coral itself.

Like the Michigander said, the flesh looks healthy and doesn't look like a pissed off coral, so I'm not too suspicious of injury.  I have dipped my Yumas in Revive and Betadine, but I don't think you need to do that unless you can confirm it's an injury that isn't healing and is not related to any algal growth.

Also, scrape that glass!  :lol:

• Like 2
SelectedByNature
12 minutes ago, holy carp said:

If you take the coral out of the water, it will naturally close up.  Rics will do it pretty quickly, but I personally have more experience with Yumas than Floridas.  If it doesn't close right away, giving it a few quick dunks back in the tank or preferably in a container of tank water, should get it to close up like a little ball.  At that point you should be able to see the surrounding plug and figure out if it's algae or something attached to the plug near the coral's foot.  Peroxide on a cotton swab should be able to take care of algae there pretty easily without irritating the coral too much.  It's not that unusual for algae to be rooted and have coral growing right up against the roots so the strands seem to come up from the coral itself.

Like the Michigander said, the flesh looks healthy and doesn't look like a pissed off coral, so I'm not too suspicious of injury.  I have dipped my Yumas in Revive and Betadine, but I don't think you need to do that unless you can confirm it's an injury that isn't healing and is not related to any algal growth.

Also, scrape that glass!  :lol:

Okay I will definitely try to confirm this algae hypothesis and treat accordingly!

Haha I will scrape my glass soon too! I have a magnet scrapper for the upper portions but not the base, and now I've done a bit too much maintenance lately so I will hold off for a few days let everything breath but then I'll get to it :D

• 2 weeks later...

When my ric was stung by a trumpet it literally was mush in the area.

Rics will shrivel up to nothing when peeved or hurt.

The first pic looked like poop, the second like algae. 

If you cut a mushroom in half it becomes mucousy, kinda looks like pooping.

Definitely check if its algae.

Good news is, you can always frag it if there is an issue.

SelectedByNature
8 hours ago, holy carp said:

Did it end up being algae? How'd the coral end up?

Hmm... I'm believe so. I followed the instructions and pulled/inspected it. It wasn't possible to see the frag without pulling flesh off the frag which I didn't do, it covered the frag too well. The thing is the coral was originally on a small frag plug, which I cut the stem off and then glued it to a large frag disk just to be able to move it around the substrate. If the algae is coming from the original plug it's pretty buried right now. :[

I had trimmed all the algae back just to see if it would grow back. Inside the "wound" there is a tiny slit where the algae comes from and I cannot see below that even if I tried to expand the area a bit. I didn't peroxide it since I would definitely come into contact with inside of the coral. About two days ago algae started to protrude slightly again (I assume it's algae).

Not sure what to do at this point but you'll be happy to know I cleaned my glass! Lol

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

When my ric was stung by a trumpet it literally was mush in the area.

Rics will shrivel up to nothing when peeved or hurt.

The first pic looked like poop, the second like algae. 

If you cut a mushroom in half it becomes mucousy, kinda looks like pooping.

Definitely check if its algae.

Good news is, you can always frag it if there is an issue.

I've never fragged anything yet! I'm scared to start with a ricordea! Lol

I guess I'll try to find a resource on fragging in case it comes to that. I don't even know how Ricordeas propagate/spread.

Thanks for the continued interest in my mushroom everyone. :D

Any further suggestions would be helpful!

My ric has doubled in size and has a second mouth. The split and multiply.

You can cut a regular shroom in 4 and it will grow into 4 shrooms

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My ric has doubled in size and has a second mouth. The split and multiply.

You can cut a regular shroom in 4 and it will grow into 4 shrooms

Ha cool. Sounds like a good first frag! Even if the shroom quarter doesn't have a mouth?

Definitely watch videos on fragging shrooms. 

You can cut the shroom from a stem and leave flesh on a rock and they will regrow from that.

Rics are different from the other shrooms

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Definitely watch videos on fragging shrooms. 

You can cut the shroom from a stem and leave flesh on a rock and they will regrow from that.

Rics are different from the other shrooms

Don't worry I won't start chopping up corals and then create a thread named "Clown79 killed all my corals!!"

Or will I? :naughtydance:

Thanks for the info though hehe. I'll check out some videos and articles first for sure.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Don't worry I won't start chopping up corals and then create a thread named "Clown79 killed all my corals!!"

Or will I? :naughtydance:

Thanks for the info though hehe. I'll check out some videos and articles first for sure.

Lmao! 

Nah, I know you wouldn't do that.

• Like 1