Pod Your Reef

Please... Tell me this is a Berghia Nudi

cnseekatz

About 3/4" cruising around on my glass before lights on. Looks like a Berghia, but I haven't put any in my system for like 6 months, and have NEVER seen any crawling around.

I've been burned by nudis before, and am just being overly cautious.

20170522_070119_zpsg10dncg2.jpg20170522_070253_zpsrnr9wjiz.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That honestly looks exactly like a Berghia to me, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. :)

After my initial moment of panic, that's what I figured too. I'm pretty shocked though... my leopard wrasse is a straight killer. I can't believe any nudi can survive in my tank.

• Like 1
Just now, cnseekatz said:

After my initial moment of panic, that's what I figured too. I'm pretty shocked though... my leopard wrasse is a straight killer. I can't believe any nudi can survive in my tank.

I'm jealous that you have a Leopard Wrasse. 

I saw a gorgeous baby one recently at an LFS and was tempted, but I've heard they are more delicate and difficult to keep. 

4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm jealous that you have a Leopard Wrasse. 

I saw a gorgeous baby one recently at an LFS and was tempted, but I've heard they are more delicate and difficult to keep. 

They are tricky. I wouldn't say more delicate or difficult to keep, but definitely difficult to successfully introduce/transition.

11 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Definitely a berghia. I released him right next to an aiptasia, and he was like, "Oh dayum!"

Great video of a Berghia in action!!!

27 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Ok, I don't want to scare you. I have berghias as well and saw what I thought was a berghia on my glass. And noticed some on a rock. Smaller and skinny, so I figured baby berghias. Guess what? They were monti-eating nudis- check the bases of your montipora. The shape of the tentacles and the spacing on the back looks like monti-eating nudis to me. 

And believe me, they are an absolute BITCH to get rid of. I currently have all my montis in my macro tank while I'm hoping that whatever I can't see in my reef tank dies off. I have to dip the montis at least once a week. Their eggs are really hard to see and even with brushing, I'm still finding some. 

Ha ok, I didn't read far enough! Whew. Eating aiptasia = berghia. Sorry for the freak out! Both look very similar! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Ok, I don't want to scare you. I have berghias as well and saw what I thought was a berghia on my glass. And noticed some on a rock. Smaller and skinny, so I figured baby berghias. Guess what? They were monti-eating nudis- check the bases of your montipora. The shape of the tentacles and the spacing on the back looks like monti-eating nudis to me. 

These were the thoughts in my head initially, but I'm pretty confident with the Berghia ID after seeing him go after that aiptasia. Besides, the only montipora I have in that tank is Gena's Idaho Grape, and that thing is indestructible... and weird. ;)

The two nudis do look different though. Here are a couple of MEN:

Image result for monti eating nudibranch

Versus Berghia:

Image result for berghia nudibranch

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

These were the thoughts in my head initially, but I'm pretty confident with the Berghia ID after seeing him go after that aiptasia. Besides, the only montipora I have in that tank is Gena's Idaho Grape, and that thing is indestructible... and weird. ;)

The two nudis do look different though. Here are a couple of MEN:

Image result for monti eating nudibranch

Versus Berghia:

Image result for berghia nudibranch

they do, you're right!!! And that's good about the grape. I saw your post and freaked out :) 

• Like 1