SaltCritters.com

Have an algae forest growing in my tank, any IDs on the species?

jesseatam

So I've had this forest growing on the left side of my tank for a while and haven't decided to mess with it too much since I thought some of the algaes looked cool, particularly the red stuff and the weird green little mushroom dudes. There appears to be two different kinds of red algae, thicker hair like stuff and then a thin branching feathery type. Personally I think they look pretty so I'm curious as to what they are, same goes for the little mushroom plate things. Apologies if the photo quality is off since I just snapped them on my phone real quick, I'll also be adding more pics in a minute due to the upload limit.

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

Threw in a top down shot too since I thought it looked cool. Excuse the nosy clown, I had to turn the filter off to get a clear shot and he thought that meant it was feeding time. :lol:

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

• Like 1

The green discs are acetabularia (mermaid's cup). The fuzzy things sticking up look like some sort of hydroid - not all hydroids are bad for tanks. There looks to be hair algae in there too - not sure about the red. 

Edit: or bryopsis for what I thought might be hydroids 

• Like 2

Thank you for the ID on the mermaids cup, It's super cool looking. I also was thinking that the taller green algae could be bryopsis but I had some earlier on and it looked different to this stuff, are there different types of bryopsis?