Pod Your Reef

Ghost overflow, ModularMarine?

smeagol108

smeagol108

Curious what are the advantages/disadvantages of a deep blue corner overflow vs a back drilled overflow.  I want the tank as quiet as possible.  Gonna be 36x18x12.  Don't know much about plumbing so could use some help here making decisions.  

Hey, I'm in the Philly Area too!

Generally, if you get the pre-installed corner overflow, you will be limited to what is factory provided for the drains. It will limit your drain system (herbie/ bA) selection depending on the holes sizes. You could always drill for a return so you can use all the holes in the overflow for drains. 

Back drilled is going to be cost of a overflow box and drilling but you can do whatever pending spacing. 

I would go with a Herbie for that tank size. It needs 2 drains. 

I prefer ghost overflow types as well. Less of a footprint to deal with during aquascaping, flow patterns, and what not. You can do a herbie drain that is quiter if done right with less of an issue if one drain gets clogged by a snail (yes I have had this happen)

Factory overflow in the corner is done at factory so if they crack it, then they deal with it. You crack it while drilling, and you are out of the $.

• Like 1
smeagol108
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

I prefer ghost overflow types as well. Less of a footprint to deal with during aquascaping, flow patterns, and what not. You can do a herbie drain that is quiter if done right with less of an issue if one drain gets clogged by a snail (yes I have had this happen)

Factory overflow in the corner is done at factory so if they crack it, then they deal with it. You crack it while drilling, and you are out of the $.

So how would I do a herbie overflow right? Could it be accomplished using the eshopps slim overflow? Was thinking about using that.  I think I am gonna have my guy build the tank so he will drill it and install whatever I want. He was gonna do a single 1 1/2 overflow bulkhead but I am not sure I like that.  

This might help you out. The BeanAnimal is my go to if you have the space for it and the way most of the ghost overflows are set up minus eshopps.

herbie.jpg

BeanAnimal.jpg

Durso.jpg

3 hours ago, smeagol108 said:

So how would I do a herbie overflow right? Could it be accomplished using the eshopps slim overflow? Was thinking about using that.  I think I am gonna have my guy build the tank so he will drill it and install whatever I want. He was gonna do a single 1 1/2 overflow bulkhead but I am not sure I like that.  

Use the references that Boggers linked. 

You can use the single 1-1/2 bulkhead but check with the eshopps kit to make sure the hole is right. I think the eshopps comes with all of it for install. Just need to adjust the 2 drains from the exterior box to your sump for a herbie. If you wanna do bean animal then get the larger kit with 3 drains but 40gal > x is good enough for Herbie. I am running a bean animal on my 105g and it could have been fine with a herbie. Just depends on your return pump. 

Who is building your tank around the area? 

smeagol108
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, knd107 said:

Use the references that Boggers linked. 

You can use the single 1-1/2 bulkhead but check with the eshopps kit to make sure the hole is right. I think the eshopps comes with all of it for install. Just need to adjust the 2 drains from the exterior box to your sump for a herbie. If you wanna do bean animal then get the larger kit with 3 drains but 40gal > x is good enough for Herbie. I am running a bean animal on my 105g and it could have been fine with a herbie. Just depends on your return pump. 

Who is building your tank around the area? 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, Boggers said:

This might help you out. The BeanAnimal is my go to if you have the space for it and the way most of the ghost overflows are set up minus eshopps.

herbie.jpg

BeanAnimal.jpg

Durso.jpg

thank you both for this really helpful info, in past I have only had reef ready tanks with the standard overflows.  this should be really helpful.  I am thinking more and more that I really like the way these modular marine overflows look, anyone have experience with them?

https://modularmarine.com/collections/overflow-boxes/products/800-gph-low-profile-overflow-box-with-removable-weir

The guy who is building my tank is located in Burlington NJ. He has built a bunch of tanks for me and is pretty damn reasonable.  The work isn't perfect like you may get from a highend shop, but its pretty close, and I have never had issues with his tanks leaking, they look awesome, he provides a one year warranty and his prices are pretty great.  Send me a pm if interested and I can provide his info to you.  He quoted me 300 for the 36x18x12 rimless with whatever overflow I decide on installed by him.  Previously he has built me 24x14x11, and 26x15x11.  He also does AIOs, sumps etc...

11 minutes ago, smeagol108 said:

thank you both for this really helpful info, in past I have only had reef ready tanks with the standard overflows.  this should be really helpful.  I am thinking more and more that I really like the way these modular marine overflows look, anyone have experience with them?

https://modularmarine.com/collections/overflow-boxes/products/800-gph-low-profile-overflow-box-with-removable-weir

The guy who is building my tank is located in Burlington NJ. He has built a bunch of tanks for me and is pretty damn reasonable.  The work isn't perfect like you may get from a highend shop, but its pretty close, and I have never had issues with his tanks leaking, they look awesome, he provides a one year warranty and his prices are pretty great.  Send me a pm if interested and I can provide his info to you.  He quoted me 300 for the 36x18x12 rimless with whatever overflow I decide on installed by him.  Previously he has built me 24x14x11, and 26x15x11.  He also does AIOs, sumps etc...

I have not used it, but it looks like a nice lower flow and smaller design VS the Shadow Overflow by Synergy. I worry about the completely removable Weir not fitting snug and failing off after a while, but that is about it.

Yea, I think I know who you are talking about in Burlington. 

I saw you are also in the SEPA facebook group. 

The modularmarine overflow looks good. Should work out good for your size tank. I just don't like the uniseals in the exterior box. 

Just noticed the image above isn't a link to the website for the Herbie overflow. 

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/