inTank Media Baskets

clown fish tail missing

Jorge091293

Jorge091293

i woke up this morning and my clown fish tail is missing nipped or something is swimming fine but will he die ? or will it be fine and grow back i have no idea who made this i have on the tank bandit shrimp pajama cardinal and one pair of clowns been there for few months so idk what  happened 

If it is a single nip, it will be fine. Most likely got too close to one of the other clown pairs. They are known to be VERY territorial once they establish a home zone. Many would not suggest more than 2 clowns to a single tank long term.

Jorge091293

sorry i only have one pair in their corrected the mistake ... and it has a big portion of it wiped there is no tail left 

Is it a clear cut? Was the tail fine yesterday or looking ragged? How is the fish acting? Do you have any crabs or shrimp (pistol, etc)  in the tank? 

17 minutes ago, Jorge091293 said:

i woke up this morning and my clown fish tail is missing nipped or something is swimming fine but will he die ? 

There may be a bully in the tank. It may recover but it'll take quite some time. Make sure you remove the bully from the tank or move the clownfish in an isolation box. Keep the water pristine and the fish well fed. Watch closely for infections. Are there any white mucus along the missing tail?

6 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I did manage to dig up some threads on rogue Coral Banded Shrimp taking out fish/inverts at night.

I was thinking that as well. Or an arrow crab. Or a pistol - I had a tiger pistol that killed his YWG along with two flasher wrasses - snapped their fins and tails off 

6 minutes ago, stellablue said:

I was thinking that as well. Or an arrow crab. Or a pistol - I had a tiger pistol that killed his YWG along with two flasher wrasses - snapped their fins and tails off 

brutal... 

Banded shrimp can attack fish.

Theres many threads with ppl reporting fish going missing or seeing their banded attacking their fish.

I would get rid of the shrimp

Jorge091293

moved away from tank to my friends  for now till i get my 40 gallon set up...... it in good hands wil the clown make it or grow it back