Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

help on starting my first nano

hooked

Hello all,

I first want to say that I currently have a 90g FOWLR. I had a 38g with a 96w smartlamp on it and had so much trouble will algae that I took it down, or should I say taking it down. I have it about 1/2 moved to my 90 and given most rock, fish, and corals away.

To get me started I plan on doing a 10g with another 10g under it for my skimmer and refug type setup. I will be using ro/di water and was wondering how all of you have so many watts going into your little tanks and keep them so clean looking? I am very impressed by all your tanks and really want to do something like it but I have flashbacks of my 38 and hair algae, green algae on glass, and cyanobacteria. Please tell me how all your tanks look algae free with that much light? I would think with that kind of light that you would need to clean the glass every 3 hours, LOL.

I understand the whole cycle of waste breakdown but for some reason in my 38g I could never get ride of my nitrates, always holding at 12 and I guess that is what kept the algae coming back. I try my best to never use chemicals to correct a problem but it just got so bad I couldn't deal with it and took it down.

I mostly want polyp type stuff and mushrooms. I was going to put LS in both tanks and LR in the display tank. I was thinking around a 32w bulb for main tank and maybe the same on the refug on a reverse time if that is correct language.

I am sure I will be leaving out important information but if anybody can comment on anything I have typed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info you can supply

Jim

Welcome to Nano reefing ! its actualy all about Micro management hehehhehe . Sounds good !

A lot of times it depends on the quality of salt mix. I use Tropic Marin and occasionaly IO or Aquacraft.net sea salt. Also, the water should be changed often in a nano tank to keep nutrients at a minimum. WHEN algae prblems occour, they are often caused by over feeding, Improper foods, Expired (or colorshifted) light bulbs, Too little nutrient competition, herbivores or too few. ALso it could be a LACK of light that fuels the algae. It is normal for a tank to have cyclic algal blooms and die offs. Phosphates are a common culptite of Hair algae. PO4 is a common biological side effect, and can be released and consumed fast enough that it will not show up on a test kit, yet it will be in the water.

Try starting your 10 gal fresh and prune the algae as soon as it starts. On occasions even I have to remove some rock and scrub them with a potato brush.... just a fact of Nano-ing !

Plan Plan plan plan decide, shop, Plan THEN buy. Dont go Ghetto.

Spend the $ get the good stuff the FIRST time.. your wallet will hurt less down the road.

AFAIC 32 watts is a tad low..... get 2 x 32 watt bulbs for main tank, nd If u are using a lighted sump a single 32 will be fine, but get a smart lamp, and runn it opposite the lights in the maintank... it will prevent disolved O2 drop off and PH drop.

Hope This helps. Oh and read some old threads... there are some good ones recently.:)

I am running 2 x 55w Powercompacts on my 10g - a 6500k and an Actinic 03. The color of the light is really beautiful and should be good for most SPS. I am not running a skimmer, I will be adding a sump after 3 months and running my Berlin Airlift #90. Get lots of live rock and good movement.

printerdown01

Honestly I don't see much of a need for going over 2x28Wor 2x32W on a 10 gallon. At this level you can keep blue maximas and SPS. Now if you are really trying to get everything to grow you could go with more light (but honestly I find that things are growing a little too quickly for my taste in my 12 gallon with 32W!!). Now I'm not keeping clams nor SPS (well save my porites which is VERY happy). Some time back someone on this board (I think eferna) had an idea that someone should develop a web-page with lighting schemes on various tank sizes and what photosynthetic inhabitants could be kept with the system... This was the result... It still needs more additions, but the 10 and 12 gallon size is fairly decent.... If anyone out there wants to add something LET ME KNOW!!! This is one page that I hope to keep growing!!

Archived