SaltCritters.com

New pick up, indentification?

GregEmmitte

GregEmmitte

Just picked this piece up, LFS said it was a branching sun coral.

ive got yellow sun coral, black sun coral and pink sun coral.

not seen a "sun coral" like this.

looks like dendro to me.

what say you?

IMG_2759.JPG

GregEmmitte

These are the pink and yellow sun corals I'm used to seeing.

IMG_2749.JPG

In any event it's pretty cool because I don't have one that color.

I think it's just another variant.  the base looks like a sun coral to me.  Hard to tell what they will look like until the polyps come out. What part do you think doesn't look like a sun?  The long polyp one with clear polyps in your photo is a dendro....

GregEmmitte

It's mostly the light shade of pink

If you look I have two fat head dendros in there. Just the one in the back is newer and wasn't fed as well as my other one. It's looking better than when I first got it though

gone_PHiSHin

i would definitely say sun coral.

side note, i'm about to buy a dendro for my tank.  how often do you guys feed dendros?

GregEmmitte

Every day.

Yea it's a sun coral. You can see the yellow tentacles starting to pop out. It's a pretty rad color though and doesn't match my other dark pink, black and yellow ones. :)

IMG_2764.JPG

I have a "Hidden Cup Coral" Phyllangia americana that hitchhiked with my live rock. I didn't even discover it until about 6-7 months after getting the rock. It survived all that time without being spot fed.

Now I feed it every other day at least. A new baby head popped up on a different rock just a couple weeks ago. :)

The other day I caught the larger or the two literally eating a whole dwarf cerith snail!! Pics of it on my thread if anyone wants to see them. 

GregEmmitte

Awesome! I was finally able to find it specifically. It's a bicolored sun coral. I knew it was sun as soon as it fed, but the color scheme made me think dendro when I first bought it.

Archived