SaltCritters.com

RBTA - Going Translucent

willp2

I picked up an RBTA a few months back. It seems to be doing well, it's been near the top of the tank and getting lots of light and recently moved down a little lower on its own. I feed it a few times a week and it has grown a bit. All signs look fine, but the color has changed substantially. It still looks very cool, maybe more cool now, but cool doesn't mean healthy and I get worried that it's losing its Zooxanthellae.

My assumption is that it's just reacting to different light conditions from the tank it came from and if anything is getting more light than it was. Does this look normal to you?

About 2 months ago

About 2 months ago

Current

Current

It is certainly bleaching.

Good news though! It is quite easy to help them recover (provided they are still sticky and accepting food).

Firstly, if you can reduce the light, I would certainly start there.

Secondly, kick up your feedings to the nem (I prefer frozen mysis, usually a half cube or a bit less) to every 2-3 days (or as often as it is willing to accept food).

After a few weeks you should certainly see improvement. Just keep in mind that if it is bleaching, it can't rely on zoox for food, meaning you will have to feed it more.

:)

Thanks. That's sort of what iZooxanthellae thought. It had moved itself originally right in the center up top. Figured it would move if it wasn't happy there. It moved down a bit, but not too far. That's exactly what I have been doing for food, Basically half a cube or so every other day.  I'll see what I can do about reducing the light some more without affecting everything else. 

Thanks again for the thoughts on this. 

• 2 months later...

Update - After a few months of reduced lighting and increased feeding it actually appears to be doing worse. It's smaller than it used to be and still bleached. It's getting harder to feed as it is so small now that it will typically get only a few mysis at a time. 

I'm keeping up the good fight, but so far it's certainly not getting any better.