Innovative Marine Aquariums

Small island rock?

xthunt

What can I use for making small islands if I want to put stuff down in the sandbed (ricordea, zoas I think would make a good island). Maybe about 2-3 inches across, 1 inch high or so, not completely flat. I have Caribsea base rock leftover, but even if I break them up, they end up being ball shaped. I tried taking a hacksaw to cut in half, but it wasn't going anywhere. I see those frag plug island things, but kinda expensive for what it is. I wouldn't mind paying for something if price is decent. What does everyone else use? 

I found some nice small pieces in a dry rock bin at a lfs. Don't know if that's an option for you though. 

Maybe instead of just trying to smash the rock use a flat blade screwdriver or a chisel and a hammer to make the shapes you want. 

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

I drilled a few holes I'm a line where I wanted it to fracture. Took a chisel and hammer and it broke just how I wanted it to. Also, a hacksaw should work. Takes a little time. Maybe get a fresh blade with coarser teeth to chew thru it 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...