SaltCritters.com

Ugly Tank Contestant - AB deserves Better - I will fix it.

Sunstar

This tank, I nominated as an ugly tank entry for the contest that involves ugly tanks. My tank is truely a victim of my neglect and in general bad design.

I am thinking of some fixes, but i cannot do them until after I move -  AB will be kicked out of his tank for a few days because I need to remove the baffle - I could just remove it and be done with the problem. I had it separated because I had intended to keep a mantis on one side and AB on the other.

Current livestock are a few periwinkles maybe a clam and of course A.B.

Problems in the tank are mostly Cyano (lack of flow) and general unkempt.

just to show how bad is bad:

237e6cd0-2781-4335-a630-4d2e8b8ce69b.jpg

I am planning on a 100% waterchange today.

AB and other live stock will be kicked to some of my many little buckets.

Due to the Cyano, I will be treating with EM - I have had excellent success int eh past with other tanks.

I do not know if I have dinos - that is possible - the tank is simply a shameful thing. I am ashamed.

Rest assured, my display isn't suffering the same issues, its just keeping my alk up is a pita - paritcularily on weeks when I come home tired and unable to stand after a long shift.

I currently have the filter out and soaking in vinegar and I will be cleaning the light and the tank itself. Swilling the sand. Then popping everyone back. They will have to go through the acclimatisation process.

Pics later.

As I have stated in my other threads I am moving in a couple months: So here is the game plan

Substrait will be replaced.

Its currently sugar sand (I hate, hate, hate it. I am covered in sugar sand as I speak and I feel like I was lounging on the beach.)

I plan to replace it with coarse crushed coral -  this should allow easier cleaning -  as it stands i suck out most of the sand each time I do -  hence why I didn't.

This drawing is how I am thinking of dealing with the flow issue. I actually like it divided as I can keep plant in one and crab in the other -  also the crab swaps sides so then do the plants -  or maybe he is after the plants. It might be easier to keep the heaters in the small side -  its not a tank for looks, its a tank for my poor crab -  I really feel like I was not a good crab mummy.

My mum has glass grinders and we can actually bore a hole in the glass big enough to take a large bit of flexable plastic tubing. I figured i could  use an elbow bend pointing up ward and insert the tubing into that. I figure I can use some acrylic to glue the elbow pointing up so it stays up and the crab can't send it flying -  but i wouldn't put it past him. He shoves the rocks around.  The elbow would be capped somehow with something to keep most of the crushed coral/snails out. Also this method means I could use one of my stronger filters to increase the flow and this can slow down the problem I have had regarding Cyano.  I think it could work. Anyway stay tuned I got pics of the tear down and restore.

I drew up a quick concept.

filter%20concept..png

To put in a nutshell, Even clean up crew could not fix this mess. this was a tear down situation and needed intervention. I basically have explained why some of the problems existed and how I can deal with them down teh road when I move.

And finally the tear down and restore pics.

There was this really thick gunk in teh bottom, I did not want to wash the sand, but I felt it necessary.

20170507_224824.jpg

After sand was washed and the tank was washed.

20170507_230032.jpg

20170507_230032.jpg

Freshly made water -  I made it this afternoon, I need to make more for my display. Hopefully I won't neglect it too much betweeen now and my move.

2681f7b1-ad37-4bb8-b5ca-02cebff7b06f.jpg

Looks a little grungy, but htat is because everything is seriously distrubed.

Three periwinkes were found, and two clams. Crab will be back in in a bit.

975969e0-cbb3-4d79-b23c-a76a6daabc7e.jpg

Archived