inTank Media Baskets

Mangroves

Minmay

So, I've been reading how growing Mangroves is a natural way of filtration. By properly growing Mangroves it can greatly decrease nitrates, phos and other organics floating around. I've read they naturally grow in the mud in the wild. My question is what Substrate do I use to properly grow this in my tank. I have a chamber that's empty. It's meant for the PS2 skimmer but I opted out of it because of the bad reviews. I've been trying to find ways to better filter my tank besides the obvious of good routine "wifely duties" (I say wifely instead of husbandry due to me not being a man lol) Anyone with experience with Mangroves?

Nixperience

You don't actually need any substrate from what I've read. They can grow hydroponically as long as they are getting the nutrients in the water. I just put some in my tank I just started. 

IMG_1143.JPG

• Like 2

Mangroves do better with their roots in substrate. Even the sand is fine. 

The leaves need to be cleaned on a regular basis and need to be above water level

They also need light.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I think red mangroves are a very fun and unique approach to filtering. I collect my seed pods locally here in Florida, I have 16 currently in my middle chamber. They provide two functions in my system. They pull nutrients and their roots mechanically filter the water through the sump causing larger particles to settle out where I can easily siphon it out. 

The attached picture is the only one I have on me at the moment, this was taken a few weeks after I added them. They are slow growers in terms of leaves, but their roots are fast and occupy most of my middle chamber 10 x 10 x 10 inch space.

Mine are suspended over just water and bare bottom. I don't find a lot of salt accumulation on the leaves. I remove them every month and rinse their roots and leaves in freshwater 

IMG_2345.JPG

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 10:57 AM, Nixperience said:

You don't actually need any substrate from what I've read. They can grow hydroponically as long as they are getting the nutrients in the water. I just put some in my tank I just started. 

IMG_1143.JPG

Are those airplants next to the mangroves?

Nixperience
43 minutes ago, JoeR said:

I didn't know they could handle salt like that. Interesting, thanks

They're not touching any water. I mist them every day. I actually killed my first batch because I overmisted them thinking they were getting salt creep, but they have a rough white fuzz that looks like salt creep. New plants have been doing great. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Nixperience said:

They're not touching any water. I mist them every day. I actually killed my first batch because I overmisted them thinking they were getting salt creep, but they have a rough white fuzz that looks like salt creep. New plants have been doing great. 

It looks really nice!

I love mangroves. Would love a few but I get worried about the roots growing strong enough to break glass.

Nixperience
25 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It looks really nice!

I love mangroves. Would love a few but I get worried about the roots growing strong enough to break glass.

I don't think that's a problem. He roots are really delicate. I've lost a few because of shifting rocks breaking the roots ☹️