Innovative Marine Aquariums

Goodbye Prince

Minmay

So my purple fire fish, my wife named him "Prince" was the first fish in my tank. Very beautiful fish but gosh does he really live up to his name. He gives so much shade. Just like Prince (singer) when he was alive. Well, 2w after having Prince. I bought black ice snowflake clown fish. I named him Elvis. Everything was fine in the beginning. Prince didnt like Elvis near his cave but he never chased him. Now Prince is starting to get aggressive towards Elvis. So, I told my wife Prince has to go back to LFS. Im trading him for Hector Goby. Hopefully this will be a much better tankmate for Elvis. Prince giving me the side eye ???

20170420_093756.jpg

• Like 2
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, Minmay said:

So my purple fire fish, my wife named him "Prince" was the first fish in my tank. Very beautiful fish but gosh does he really live up to his name. He gives so much shade. Just like Prince (singer) when he was alive. Well, 2w after having Prince. I bought black ice snowflake clown fish. I named him Elvis. Everything was fine in the beginning. Prince didnt like Elvis near his cave but he never chased him. Now Prince is starting to get aggressive towards Elvis. So, I told my wife Prince has to go back to LFS. Im trading him for Hector Goby. Hopefully this will be a much better tankmate for Elvis. Prince giving me the side eye ???

20170420_093756.jpg

Poor Prince :(

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Poor Prince :(

I know...we're both sad about letting him go but we like Elvis better

2 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Firefish beating down a clown?! that would be shocking.

Ive researched firefish and it says they are peaceful but he just didnt like Elvis going near his cave. Thats the only time he would snip at him. You would think it was the other way around since clowns are semi aggressive. Which is why I got the firefish 1st. O well, fish no matter what it says on profile still have their own personality. Cant really say for sure how its gonna act when other tankmates are introduced. 

• Like 1

If he isn't actually nipping, slamming, or hurting the clown, he is just showing natural territorial aggression. If he is chasing the clown away, thats pretty normal behaviour.

I've seen gobies do it. Blennies do it, they all do it.

My clown charges at my shrimp if the shrimp goes near her frogspawn but the clown never hurts the shrimp.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If he isn't actually nipping, slamming, or hurting the clown, he is just showing natural territorial aggression. If he is chasing the clown away, thats pretty normal behaviour.

I've seen gobies do it. Blennies do it, they all do it.

My clown charges at my shrimp if the shrimp goes near her frogspawn but the clown never hurts the shrimp.

O ok, I'll continue to monitor them and make sure Elvis doesnt have any torn fins. I thought clowns were suppose to swim in just 1 area? Elvis swims the whole tank. I've also tried showing him a video of clowns hosting a hammer ??? is that foolish??? Lol...My kids laughed at me but I read that some ppl who show their clown a picture of hosting and it worked. He looks at it but then swims away. I even tried feeding Elvis right over the hammer. O well, im hoping he will host it maybe when the hammer gets larger. I feel so bad that his bed is floating on top of water column. 

• Like 3

Don't feel bad. The clown is doing what he wants.

Its not their bed, in the wild clowns go into anemones for protection because other fish(predators) can't handle the sting from the anemone.

Clowns may never host anything, some choose powerheads

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Don't feel bad. The clown is doing what he wants.

Its not their bed, in the wild clowns go into anemones for protection because other fish(predators) can't handle the sting from the anemone.

Clowns may never host anything, some choose powerheads

Yeah he may not end up hosting anything. I was just trying to get him to host it so he can stop swimming by Princes cave and they can both be happy with their own space. Well, at least I know Elvis knows the hammer is there. 

On 5/6/2017 at 3:08 AM, Minmay said:

O ok, I'll continue to monitor them and make sure Elvis doesnt have any torn fins. I thought clowns were suppose to swim in just 1 area? Elvis swims the whole tank. I've also tried showing him a video of clowns hosting a hammer ??? is that foolish??? Lol...My kids laughed at me but I read that some ppl who show their clown a picture of hosting and it worked. He looks at it but then swims away. I even tried feeding Elvis right over the hammer. O well, im hoping he will host it maybe when the hammer gets larger. I feel so bad that his bed is floating on top of water column. 

It's not foolish at all. I've gotten all my clowns to host w/e nem by taping a picture to the glass of their species hosting that species nem. Works every time. 
Although it might wait til it's older to host, I've gotten juveniles that take quite awhile before they start host anything, so don't feel bad if he's "homeless" for awhile. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SunWyrm said:

It's not foolish at all. I've gotten all my clowns to host w/e nem by taping a picture to the glass of their species hosting that species nem. Works every time. 
Although it might wait til it's older to host, I've gotten juveniles that take quite awhile before they start host anything, so don't feel bad if he's "homeless" for awhile. 

Oooo thats great!!! I figured Id show him a video instead of a still picture so he can watch what he's suppose to do. He watches it. Its cute to me but my family laughs at me lol. I'll keep trying to show him videos. Hopefully it will work one day. 

• Like 1

My clownfish would sleep at the water line as well. It took a few months (I didn't do anything but watch) but my black ice clown hosts a group of Duncan Corals. The corals were very unhappy with this at the start but now don't seem to care. I would just give it time. Cheers. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, FollyFish said:

My clownfish would sleep at the water line as well. It took a few months (I didn't do anything but watch) but my black ice clown hosts a group of Duncan Corals. The corals were very unhappy with this at the start but now don't seem to care. I would just give it time. Cheers. 

thank you. Im hoping once the hammer gets larger that maybe he will take interest in it. I still have Prince. So im praying that Elvis will take refuge in the hammer so Prince can leave him alone 

• Like 1

So it looks like Elvis's anal fin and dorsal fin looks damaged. It doesnt look like fin rot. Im not sure if its Prince nipping on him while im not looking. I really dont have a QT tank. I have a travel tank that i use to dip my corals in. Should I use that to put Elvis in and see if his fin grows back? I would take a pic for u guys to see but he moves too much