Cultivated Reef

What wattage of MH?

kris_willard

kris_willard

I am going to be converting my 5.5 to a 20L with a 10 or 20gal sump/fuge. i am doing this due to the fact that keepin up with the 5.5 is just too much work and i dont have the time. I was wondering what wattage of MH would be best for the 20L. Any suggestions?

kris_willard
Originally posted by MrKrispy

Well are you even remotely considering trying SPS or a clam?

If so 250W

Yes, That is the reson i have decided to go with MH. I plan on going with a DE pendant. I love the look of 20k but would 2 actinic PC's have the same effect?

I don't know. I was using a 20k bulb and it was okay. I switched to the hamilton 14k and like that a lot better, the corals are colored and flouresce much better. The 20k I had was kind of dim looking.

I would not recommend the 20,000k too blue... everything in your tank will look much brighter with the 10,000 or 14,000k

kris_willard

Ive been in sW for over ayear now so im not a newb just havent had mH before. What are the pros/cons of magnetic vs. Electric ballasts?

depends who you talk to. I went with an electronic ballast because they stay cool, no flicker, and drive the bulb at the correct wattage. A lot of people prefer magnetic ballasts for DE bulbs because of the overdrive though. With a bulb lasting a year or more with an electronic I am happy.

Couldn't the clams/sps be cool under 150w MH? 250 seems like a lot of heat for 20g considering the tank isn't that high...but I actually don't have MH, so not positive. Mine are on back-order. =(

Archived