Cultivated Reef

GSP

Minmay

Weetabix7
7 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I just want to say that GSP is beautiful when out but gosh its a moody lil' booger. Sigh

I always use it as an "indicator coral" in my tanks. 

If it's all the way open, I know things are good. 

If it's only opening partway or not at all, I know to check things. 

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I always use it as an "indicator coral" in my tanks. 

If it's all the way open, I know things are good. 

If it's only opening partway or not at all, I know to check things. 

I just did WC on Sat..everything else is fine except GSP...its been closed for several days now. I did notice while lookin in the tank in the middle of the night there was a bristle worm and when I shined the flashlight it crawed inside the matt...I picked it up with tweezers and noticed a worm underneath the rock. I dipped it in RO water to see if anythng would come out between the matt and the rock its attached to but it didnt. So, Im not sure why its angry.

Weetabix7

Interesting. 

Bristleworms live in the mat of mine as well and don't seem to bother it. 

It may be irritated from the RO dip.

14 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Interesting. 

Bristleworms live in the mat of mine as well and don't seem to bother it. 

It may be irritated from the RO dip.

It was closed a few days before the RO dip. I checked parameters during the day amd everything was fine but GSP being closed kept bothering me so I got up in the middle of the night to see what was lurking in the tank and thats when I saw it. I read that GSP is really sensitive and will sometimes close for no reason? So, im hoping that it will open when its done being moody. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, just an update on my GSP. Part of it died. I had a real bad problem with diatoms and GHA. I have both under control now. Diatoms seem to get goin away and the turbos did a real good job on GHA. I googled what to do about GSP. Only a few polyps were coming out. The rest deteriorated ???. I guess I should have waited for the diatoms to go away b4 adding livestock? Hopefully the polyps that are still around will spread.

Simulated Fish

GSP will always spread! Mine doesn't care, coral, algae, snails, rocks, glass, LPS..... Grows over it all LOL

1 hour ago, Minmay said:

So, just an update on my GSP. Part of it died. I had a real bad problem with diatoms and GHA. I have both under control now. Diatoms seem to get goin away and the turbos did a real good job on GHA. I googled what to do about GSP. Only a few polyps were coming out. The rest deteriorated ???. I guess I should have waited for the diatoms to go away b4 adding livestock? Hopefully the polyps that are still around will spread.

Sounds like there was some kind of tank imbalance, but hopefully what you've done to correct things will get everything stabilized. 

Once stable, any living GSP polyps will definitely spread. 

I hope so u guys...i feel so bad tho. The polyps that did survive is doing well tho. Fully out. I read that diatoms can suffocate anything and it was all over GSP even though I tried my best to lightly brush it off.

8 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I hope so u guys...i feel so bad tho. The polyps that did survive is doing well tho. Fully out. I read that diatoms can suffocate anything and it was all over GSP even though I tried my best to lightly brush it off.

If you're really trying and doing your best, that's all you can do. :)

29 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you're really trying and doing your best, that's all you can do. :)

Yeah at least now I know for next time if I ever decide to do a larger tank. 

Archived