Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

nice job, peppermint!

chufa

Yesterday I got a peppermint shrimp. Shy bugger, spends all day inside a rock and all I can see are his antenna sticking out. I thought he may be stressed. But after checking the tank later, I noticed that all my aptaisia were gone! Absolutely none left! and I have counted at least six of them. That was fast!

Peppermint shrimps are awesome! Mine always came out and would crawl on my arms when I was cleaning the tank. Full of character, and for 6 bucks, you can't beat that! :D

I just added a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp to my 6 gallon nano. The guy at the LFS told me that all I need to feed them is a little bit of phytoplankton every other day. Is this correct?

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Peppermint shrimps are awesome! Mine always came out and would crawl on my arms when I was cleaning the tank. Full of character, and for 6 bucks, you can't beat that! :D

NH3, go back to your LFS and tell that guy that I said he is a moron.

My peppermint would eat fish food, pieces of shrimp, bristle worms, and other stuff. They don't filter the water for phytoplankton, as far as I know. Thats like selling someone a hamster and telling them to feed it live horses.

Seriously though, mine used to swim along the surface upside-down to get floating fish food.

congrats. Peps don't always go after aiptaisia so you got lucky. Peppermints, as well as cleaner shrimp, will happily walk up your arm and pick away while you clean the tank. They are much braver than most fish.

Well, mine is still very shy. I guess it will take some time for it to get to know me. :)

But wait! What happened? I have a live rock with some nice bright orange leathery growth. This morning I found it all chewed up. I think it was the peppermint shrimp. :angry:

What can you feed this guy to keep his appetite from causing damage?

Thanks, I thought the LFS dude was a bit wacko. Any particular brand of fish food you recommend? How often did you feed? Did you use raw chopped up shrimp from the grocery store when you fed shrimp?

Originally posted by Korbin

NH3, go back to your LFS and tell that guy that I said he is a moron.

My peppermint would eat fish food, pieces of shrimp, bristle worms, and other stuff.  They don't filter the water for phytoplankton, as far as I know.  Thats like selling someone a hamster and telling them to feed it live horses.

Seriously though, mine used to swim along the surface upside-down to get floating fish food.

printerdown01

Korbin: I haven't heard of pepps eating leathers (but it certainly is possible). Feeding MIGHT prevent him from eating other stuff in you tank -every shrimp is differnet, so it will all depend on his particular fancies ;). Also keep him in there for a while!! Aptasia regrow, sometimes they seem to do so a month or so later.

NH3: Pepps are scavengers and will eat about any fish food you decide to give them. :)

I dont have any fish, but mine would always go after bits of food that I feed my corals. I would have to fend him away with tweezers to stop him from stealing it.

They're not that picky of eaters. They'll eat any sort of fish food you throw in the tank.

Originally posted by chufa

Well, mine is still very shy. I guess it will take some time for it to get to know me. :)  

But wait! What happened? I have a live rock with some nice bright orange leathery growth. This morning I found it all chewed up. I think it was the peppermint shrimp. :angry:  

What can you feed this guy to keep his appetite from causing damage?

Well first we'd need to know what the "orange leathery growth" is. I'd guess a sponge? Any pics?

Secondly, don't place blame so quickly, although it could have been the shrimp it could also have been all kinds of things. You never know whats living in your tank you know.

Archived