Innovative Marine Aquariums

do sps really need mh?

eduardo cavalcanti

It's hard to evaluate the appearance of something inside an aquarium through a photo, there's so many factors involved like the settings of the monitor or like the way the photo was taken. There's also the way how the "something" is illuminated inside the water, like if it's pure 6500k white sunlight lamps or if there's artificial photo-fluorescence actinic lamps.

A coral just use energy for growth if it do not need to waste energy to cure itself or to defend itself from some aggression, if a coral is growing it is not "surviving", it's thriving, and this is what matters, a coral do not necessarily show its happiness through coloration, we encourage this, even artificially, because it's more attractive to our eyes. I do not want to generalize, but there's an easy way to color up most corals, just put a lot of actinics above them or treat your photos in an image editor program, but this is just for aesthetic purposes.

I don't know what kind of lights there's above those Montiporas, and i'm guessing Eduardo do not treated his images, but we can clearly see that that thing is growing and lightning its zooxanthelae population, those it is happy =)

Originally posted by eduardo cavalcanti

comparing the two last pictures you can cleary see that the color of the tips has improved but it is not yet purple.

actually you can cearly see that the white balace is not the same in the two pics. look at the rock in the background. in the 2nd pic it loses its yellow and turns whiter. no, offense, but it's true.

kingMOB, i do see the coral is happy. i'm just interrested in this piece because i also have one growing under PCs. our frag has not seen as much growth as eduardo's but it does indeed exhibit purple tips. *see my 10gal thread located in my sig. i'm just trying to compare. maybe i should bug him via PMs so we stay on subject on this thread.

I kept a purple monti digi, at least I think that's what this is under pcs for a bout a year, with very little growth or color. Once I added the halides it started to grow a lot more, and it colored up. I would say that can easily be kept under pcs, but thrive under halides.

Under PC's

1198purple_monti_bfa.jpg

Under Halides.

1198purple_monti_wh.jpg

Hope the pictures come out. First time trying on NR.

eduardo cavalcanti

yes, first, the bigger frag wasn´t holding still in a place, so i had to built a larger base o f epoxi to mantain it in tehre. second, i like to let a larger base for the frags so they have a good area to grow without incrusting the major rock. third, i´ll be moving this tank in a month or 2, so the more epoxi i put, the easier is to remove the frag from the main rock. i know that is not very atractive now, but in a small amount of time, the base will be fully covered by coral tissue

eduardo cavalcanti

hey guys, i´m a little worried about something. today i noticed that at little pat of the base of the bigger green digitata has bleached. it´s completely white. this was the part that was near the epoxi, of course. so my qestion is, do i have to frag the distal parts so they are safe from bleaching, or can i wait some more time and lokk what happens?

matt the fiddler

the epoxy will kill part of the coral- when it touches. so the best way toprevent dieoff is to supergule them on a tiny piece of rock ruble, then epoxy that rubble piece to the main rock...

that would have happened sooner than later though....

the base bleaching could be dieoff- i tried keeping several montis under PCS a while back, and one of them had the base die back a siginifiant amount. only when i upgraded the lightig did it start to recover. for me it was low light. [touching the surface under 130 W pcs in 2 blubs] there are a hudred other things it coudlbe bleaching from tough

eduardo cavalcanti

well guys, today i woke up and when i went looking my tank, i saw that half of the bigger frag was already dead. the tissue necrosis surely spread quickly. so, i cutted of the distal parts of the frag and made two small ones. i was very sad because if i done the same procedure yesterday, i would´ve saved 80% of this big frag and would have made two regular size frags.

conclusion: next time i will buy superbonder gel, and will frag earlier if i notice tissue necrosis

Archived