Cultivated Reef

Is your filter sock changing schedule helping to reduce nutrients? | BRStv Investigates

Randy_BRS

Happy Friday, Reefers! ?

Is your filter sock maintenance schedule working as effectively as it could be? This week on BRStv Investigates, we put filter socks to the test by changing them on different schedules and testing for nutrients!

Great little test.  It certainly supports my Weekend/Wednesday sock change schedule.

I do think it would be interesting to see how these results hold up in conjunction with skimming, since skimmers are used on the vast majority of systems.  I expect the results would still indicate semiweekly is best.  Since the sock should get more particulates than the skimmer would, they will still add nutrient export value, but the overall impact could be reduced enough to make socks seem less compelling...  Or maybe the forms of nutrients captured by socks and skimmers don't overlap, so...

1zgx5bc.png 

ReefSafeSolutions

Very cool video.  I didn't hear them mention any water changes for the test (would skew results) so I think depending on your tank, you could make some interesting adjustments to your system, ie, bigger water changes with less frequent changing of the filter sock.  

Archived