ReefCleaners.org

Male or female?

Derrick1980

Derrick1980

How do I tell if my valentini puffer is male or female?  I just love watching and have grown fond of its cute characteristics but it would be nice to know what it is.

RIP Sebastian

"It is not hard to sex the Saddled toby, Canthigaster valentine, because sexing can be done by looking at the coloration. Males have lines radiating from the back of their head. These lines have a blue-green iridescent color. Males also have blue grey lines under the lower jaw. The lines are featured on an orange background. In addition to this, Saddled toby males have a blue-gray patch just behind their anus. Females lack all these features. Sexing the saddled toby valentine puffer can also to a certain degree be made by size because males tend to be larger than females."

This is from Aquatic Community. Hope this helps. It's NOT my knowledge.

2 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

How do I tell if my valentini puffer is male or female?  I just love watching and have grown fond of its cute characteristics but it would be nice to know what it is.

Derrick1980
3 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

"It is not hard to sex the Saddled toby, Canthigaster valentine, because sexing can be done by looking at the coloration. Males have lines radiating from the back of their head. These lines have a blue-green iridescent color. Males also have blue grey lines under the lower jaw. The lines are featured on an orange background. In addition to this, Saddled toby males have a blue-gray patch just behind their anus. Females lack all these features. Sexing the saddled toby valentine puffer can also to a certain degree be made by size because males tend to be larger than females."

This is from Aquatic Community. Hope this helps. It's NOT my knowledge.

Thanks alot!  I think I have a girl. :)

Derrick1980

Nope I have 5.  They are all happy.  I was going to get rid of the chromis but they have settled down and are playful now.

IMG_20170416_123106131.jpg

Archived