inTank Media Baskets

Freshly Moved Tank Pics

OxInYourBox

Well after breaking down and a 42G Hex Reef, 29G SPS Reef, Alife Capnella Reef tank, 5.5G Propogation tank, 1 10G mixing/QT tank, and 1 20G 6' tall acrylic FW tank I have only setup 3 tanks and a mixing tank in my new apartment.

Up first (all the pics I took and please pardon the closed polyps as I had just cleaned the glass and I didn't have my tripod) is my 29G reef tank which I moved and rescaped and ended up not keeping 10 or so #'s of base rock in the new tank. Here's what it looked like before: (Click each pic for a Hi Res, 3MP, version):

IMG_1112Small.JPG

The move went well however I filled up 2 Omaha Steak coolers with just the livestock that could be bagged, a 20G rubbermaid container with the corals that couldn't be bagged, 2 IO buckets of LR and 2 5G jugs of fresh Oceanic saltwater and a few boxes/buckets of misc equipment. I didn't lose anything from this tank however the tank ran for 5 days without the MH as I couldn't hang it initially then had to move the rest of my tanks/crap out of the house so it fell to the way side. Some SPS lost their color (purple rimmed monti) but it are coming back nicely along with polyp extension. The 20k XM bulb is 10 months old and I'm replacing it with another along with going with 2 Seio 820's in the tank to get rid of the MJ1200's. I'm also putting in my Hella HOT fuge and my MRC CR1 Ca Reactor finally!! :-D

Here are a few pics (raw and untouched besides being shrunk to 640x480) of the new tank:

Full Tank Shot:

IMG_1158%20Small.JPG

Clam:

IMG_1159%20Small.JPG

Zoo's:

IMG_1160%20Small.JPG

More Zoo's:

IMG_1161%20Small.JPG

One of my favorite pieces (have 2) and what got me started into SPS b/c I wanted it:

IMG_1162%20Small.JPG

Purple Rim Cap:

IMG_1163%20Small.JPG

Various Frags and my first SPS (brown digitata that started out at 3/4" and now fragged all over the tank from the move :)):

IMG_1164%20Small.JPG

Meanest F'n Fish I've had and king of the tank. He even goes after hermits:

IMG_1165%20Small.JPG

Some more Zoo's:

IMG_1166%20Small.JPG

SPS and Frogspawn:

IMG_1167%20Small.JPG

Different SPS (Acro on the right I got for $10 2 months ago while brown and it has tanned up and the tips were blue before the move) and Frogspawn:

IMG_1168%20Small.JPG

Staghorns and Pocillopora:

IMG_1172%20Small.JPG

Tricolors (left one started from a 1/2" tall brown frag back in Feb) and a Bali Slimer I believe:

IMG_1173%20Small.JPG

More pics of the 42G to 20L swap and the Alife 7 to come.

Thanks Neon!

If I can still make it I will. Something's come up but I'm trying my best to do both.

What frags do you want me to bring if I can Kic?

Those acros in the last shoot look sweet and I'm always looking for zoos, I'll bring some tan with carolina blue polyp cap and some other digitatas and some softies.

Just a quick update. Last week I started to develop some hair algae on all sides of the tank. This was due to a the XM bulb being 10 months old @ 9 hours a day photoperiod and the phase changed (best way to tell was the pictures above didn't need any white color correction vs. when the bulb was at it's normal phase).

Got the new bulb in yesterday along with two Seio 820's and a 620. Let me just say know these pumps are huge and push mucho water. They also use less power than the MJ1200's so the plan was to replace all of the powerheads in the tank with just the two Seio 820's and be done. Well to make a long story short I spent two hours last night cursing, blowing monti caps (made a new frag of the purple rim :() and acro's that weren't nailed down all over the tank. Towards the end of my escapade last night I was very tempted to make a phone call and get rid of everything or to grab a bottle of liqour and take it all out at once (would have been a waste of alcohol). I ended up calming down and realizing that I'll have to completely break down the tank and design it around the pumps to make it aesthetically pleasing. For now though I have a 620 and 820 on one side of the tank moving water @ full blast. So that's ~1400GPH from one side of the tank. On the other side I have a modified MJ1200, a regular MJ1200, and the output from the Remora. Let's just say it's a f'n vortex in there. Overnight only one coral got blown away (large red cap) but I think I positioned it properly today.

I'm moving ahead with my plan to put 300W of VHO love over my 20L (Me making a hood should get very interesting) and moving the caps and possibly squamosa into it. I have the other 820 in the 20L now in it's native design however I'm going to take it apart for more flow and let it rip. I'm trying to get away with just it in the tank but if need be I'll put in the other 820 and leave the 620 in the 29G. Neither tank looks good anymore with even larger pumps but the flow is worth it ATM. A HOT overflow keeps looking better and better with a 29G sump and a HOT return system...

Sweet tank Ox!

All those pics are with the 20kK right?

Are you looking into a Hellolights VHO kit?

Finally.....so, you like the Seio's? :)

I'm kicking the idea of either the MRC reactor or maybe just a Nielsen reactor.....

Thanks onthefly.

Yeah these pics were with a 10month old 20K XM. No color correction needed so I knew the bulb had shifted (along with the lovely hair algae outbreak on the glass).

I'm looking at the hellolights 4x24" retro however I don't like the fact that it doesn't come with water resistant end caps. Just a precautionary thing. I picked up 4 VHO bulbs already (Sun and Super Actinic) so I'm getting close to having to decide. That and the 2x32 CSL ABS hood over a 20L isn't quite cutting it. ;) Might have to chat with http://www.nanohoods.com about a hood to run the VHO in as his prices and craftmanship are good. I'll gladly pay for someone else to make something for me if I know I'll spend more doing it myself.

So far I like the Seio's. It's different than a MJ1200. You definitely don't feel 820GPH at the nozzle but you see it in the tank. I have one 820 in my 20L and I believe I can get away with nothing else besides the Remora skimmer (and siphoning the BB during maintenence). I may pick up some food coloring and record the flow pattern in the 20L. I will say that the chalk bass gets tossed around like a lil ***** in the flow when I put food in. :) The psuedo in the 29G is the same way but he has an 820, 620, and 2 MJ1200's to contend with. :)

I need to get my alk and ca in check asap and then hook up the reactor. I have a Kangaroo 324 but the motor is broke so I may pick up another and then go with a nilsein reactor with the kangaroo feeding RO into it. All this for a 29G. :) The tank evaps 1-2G a day b/c of it being in the hot room of the apt. :(

In retrospect if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a nielsen reactor vs. ca reactor.

Trust me you don't want to see them lol.

My broadband is down hence the lack of pics but I'll have them up this weekend if Frances doesn't hit Charlotte. I think I've finally got the caps to stay in place. Sucks having 4-6" caps getting blown around the tanks. I have quite a few frags now lol.

I may drop some lightly diluted kalk water into the flow in both tanks and record it as well and post that.

Archived