Cultivated Reef

I think it is going to LIVE!!!

achu

2 weeks ago, the fish store gave me a colt that was dying.

Actually, I went to the store to get some loose mushrooms since my tank was only 3 weeks old and still only cycling with live rock. I wanted to work my way slowly. While they were trying to get out some of the mushrooms, they also stirred out the sick colt that must have fallen and gotten itself buried in a cave of live rock.

Sigh, it got home ok and into my tank ok. Then came the tough part. Bringing it back to life in an unstable tank.

Sigh sigh sigh, after 3 weeks of doing small water changes every other day... I've been using the colt to guage water quality. As soon as it looks worse, I do a water change. Actually I haven't done a single one this week! I think my tank is somewhat stable now!!! I am happy to say that I am pretty sure the colt will make it!

Of course, this is after it tried to clear off a major infection and lost 3 arms doing so...

The arms are doing better than the main piece. The arms have all attached onto live rock and are happily growing.

The main piece is still lying on a piece of live rock, although it has managed to attach it's "foot" to the rock now...

In anycase, I now have 4 colts!!!

wooohoo!

calfo calls that stress-induced propagation. it's not the recommended way but it typically works very well, when it does work. (you'll know if it doesn't right away as everything melts into an infected gelatinous mass, yuck! :x )

that's sounds great! good luck with the new frags. ;)

Archived