Innovative Marine Aquariums

Purigen - yay or nay?

gone_PHiSHin

gone_PHiSHin

what are your thoughts on it?

it's about time to replace my purigen in my IM10.  i am definitely not 'regenerating' it, i'll just buy a new one since it's relatively cheap.

my question is, do i really need it?  does anyone have any opinions on if it's really necessary or if it really does much for a tank?  i currently run carbon and GFO, which are tried and true, but i don't know if i need it really

I always like using it as a fail safe I guess.  i am using ChemiPure right now, but I think I am going back to Purigen and carbon.  

Every now and then i will run without it, but tbh I feed so heavily that it makes me feel "naked" to run a tank without it. lol

I mean, you can always test your levels while running it, remove it and then continue to test between water changes to see if its really doing anything for your tank. 

gone_PHiSHin

yeah that's what i figured i should do, just test without it and go from there.

honeslty i'll probably just get a new one and go with the 'if it works, don't change it' method.  everything seems to be doing great with this tank and i feed fairly heavy as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

what are your thoughts on it?

it's about time to replace my purigen in my IM10.  i am definitely not 'regenerating' it, i'll just buy a new one since it's relatively cheap.

my question is, do i really need it?  does anyone have any opinions on if it's really necessary or if it really does much for a tank?  i currently run carbon and GFO, which are tried and true, but i don't know if i need it really

I was thinking about the samething. Is it working? Doesnt seem like it. Im running filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite on my fluval 13.5. I opted out on the skimmer cuz I've read so many reviews saying its not necessary for a nano especially under 20g. How much purigen did you put in your baggy? I had a hard time thinking of how much to put in bag so i just guessed. 

gone_PHiSHin

well i took out the bag of purigen after a WC.  i let the tank go a little over a week without it and i don't know if it was a coincidence or not but a few of my corals seemed to not be doing as well/polyp extension wasn't as good.

so i ordered another bag of it and put it back in the media basket and my tank seems to have returned to normal.  the algae on my glass seems to have been reduced as well. i used the 100ml bag that i used previously, which fits well in the last chamber of my media basket.

i guess i could continue to experiment and see if it's really helping but i just bought it since it's under ten bucks.  i feed fairly heavy so maybe it helps with excess nutrients enough in this smaller tank.  i'll probably just continue to use it!

3 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

well i took out the bag of purigen after a WC.  i let the tank go a little over a week without it and i don't know if it was a coincidence or not but a few of my corals seemed to not be doing as well/polyp extension wasn't as good.

so i ordered another bag of it and put it back in the media basket and my tank seems to have returned to normal.  the algae on my glass seems to have been reduced as well. i used the 100ml bag that i used previously, which fits well in the last chamber of my media basket.

i guess i could continue to experiment and see if it's really helping but i just bought it since it's under ten bucks.  i feed fairly heavy so maybe it helps with excess nutrients enough in this smaller tank.  i'll probably just continue to use it!

Yeah..me too lol...everything in my tank seems to be thriving maybe except 1 mushroom but I heard its pretty hard to kill a mushroom so I'll just leave it in there and pray to the SW Gods. I DIY my media basket. I have filter floss on top, then purigen, then last is chemi-pure elite. Is that how you have it as well?

gone_PHiSHin

i have filter floss at the top, then a small bag (approx 1-1.5 tablespoons) of ROX 0.8 carbon and about a tablespoon bag of GFO on top of each other in the second chamber, and then the 100ml bag of purigen in the third chamber.

SaltyBuddha

Just throwing out a question here. It seems like purigen is taking the place of a biological filter (removing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, proteins, etc.). Why do people use this if they have a working bio filter in their tank? Would using this take away from the bacteria and make your bio filter weaker and dependent on the purigen? That could be why you saw some changes when you took it out of your tank. 

9 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Just throwing out a question here. It seems like purigen is taking the place of a biological filter (removing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, proteins, etc.). Why do people use this if they have a working bio filter in their tank? Would using this take away from the bacteria and make your bio filter weaker and dependent on the purigen? That could be why you saw some changes when you took it out of your tank. 

I think alot of us use it as a safeguard.  I use it because I feed heavily (2 to 3 times a day) and I dont want my nutrients getting out of control.  I only think its detrimental to a new tank. like you stated, it could disrupt the establishment of a sufficient biofilter especially when cycling. i think it only helps a more mature one. But thats all personal experience and opinion.

Archived