ReefCleaners.org

Spec V fluval tank new to the Pico / Nano Family

Johnin714

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So picked up 3 Turbo Snails and some others to clean the tank up and just as expected these guys went to work. My salinity is slowly moving up now to 1.23 i hope by this Friday things will be good to go for some goodies. 

At this point im still waiting on:

New Aqueon 600 Water Pump

New Media Basket

New Reef Light

New 3D Background for tank

Everything should arrive no later than Friday. Ill take new pics and updates then

Awesome!  Regarding the turbos--you may find they are too big/too hungry for the tank so be prepared to return/exchange them for smaller snails so they don't starve and pollute the tank. :)  Which light did you end up deciding on again?

About the Turbo Snails i plan on as soon as they are done cleaning the tank move them to my bigger 75g tank/Sump and probably leave the little ones in my Spec for now to keep up with the cleaning. Once my water hits closer to 1.24 to 1.25 ill grab some hermits and move a couple more snails to larger main tank and leave a few of the smaller snails with the Hermits. Then ill grab a frag or two and see how things go. 

As far as the light i grabbed this one the 12" one to get things going and to try it out. Eventually, i will get the Current Orbit Marine or something to that respect. When i save a few dollars and move this light to a 29g BioCube Freshwater setup at my work.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-72-RGB-Remote-Control-LED-Light-HI-LUMEN-Reef-Aquarium-Planted-24-7-Automa-/252707911670?var=&hash=item3ad690b7f6:m:mF_38kG1PTIuUPgKkFwhs4g

Still waiting on all the goodies but should be here any day. Then the fun begins 

TripleTrouble

@Johnin714 fyi I have a Fluval spec v. I upgraded to the Kessil A80 and I love it. 

Also have the Aqueon pump and got a Hydor240. Haven't changed media yet. That's next. My tank is around 1.5 months old. 

Attached a pic so you can see the spread/coloring. 

IMG_2195.JPG

@TripleTroubleOhh man thanks for that picture. Love the tank and the aquascaping awesome job ! Looks like the same direction im heading but really helps seeing another members setup! 

Did you start with a new setup and cycled the tank or did you do the same route and take some from a larger tank that was already established? 

Look at those corals ! Cant wait to get some for this little guy. 

TripleTrouble

@Johnin714 thanks for the compliment. This is my first soirée in salt aquariums. I started w live rock and live sand. I've included a link to my tank page below. 

Agree that it helps talking with others that have same tanks and similar vision.  

At the moment I'm struggling a bit with keeping the hair algae at bay. It hasn't turned into a full blown problem yet but trying to really combat it with 2x week small water changes. Plus just got an electric blue hermit that loves the stuff. 

3 hours ago, TripleTrouble said:

@Johnin714 thanks for the compliment. This is my first soirée in salt aquariums. I started w live rock and live sand. I've included a link to my tank page below. 

Agree that it helps talking with others that have same tanks and similar vision.  

At the moment I'm struggling a bit with keeping the hair algae at bay. It hasn't turned into a full blown problem yet but trying to really combat it with 2x week small water changes. Plus just got an electric blue hermit that loves the stuff. 

So far the Turbo Snails really took care of the tank. Less than a day and all the what looks to be algae is almost all gone. Im not sure what your using for a clean up clean but something to consider Turbo snails love that stuff. 

I just got the Aqueon 600 pump. I made the mods and WOW what a huge difference in water flow. Quiet and makes my tank already look healthier. So far so good everything is going in the right direction so far.

I checked my Salinity and its on the up to 1.24 almost there! 

More stuff should be in tomorrow.

My new Media Basket will be in tomorrow and i can run the Filter Floss and will continue to run Ultramxx 2 T Spoons the best part is i can take out the crappy sponge filter. 

Hopefully my new 3d Background will be in tomorrow and the new LED Light tomorrow or Friday. Then its go time with the corals providing i dont have any setbacks with water. 

I plan on taking 2 Turbos out tonight and put them into my main tank. 

@TripleTrouble what was your first coral you put in your Spec and how is it doing any growth? 

TripleTrouble
8 minutes ago, Johnin714 said:

So far the Turbo Snails really took care of the tank. Less than a day and all the what looks to be algae is almost all gone. Im not sure what your using for a clean up clean but something to consider Turbo snails love that stuff. 

I just got the Aqueon 600 pump. I made the mods and WOW what a huge difference in water flow. Quiet and makes my tank already look healthier. So far so good everything is going in the right direction so far.

I checked my Salinity and its on the up to 1.24 almost there! 

More stuff should be in tomorrow.

My new Media Basket will be in tomorrow and i can run the Filter Floss and will continue to run Ultramxx 2 T Spoons the best part is i can take out the crappy sponge filter. 

Hopefully my new 3d Background will be in tomorrow and the new LED Light tomorrow or Friday. Then its go time with the corals providing i dont have any setbacks with water. 

I plan on taking 2 Turbos out tonight and put them into my main tank. 

@TripleTrouble what was your first coral you put in your Spec and how is it doing any growth? 

@Johnin714 I've had a hammer, an Acan frag (2 heads) and a mushroom for around 3.5 weeks. They all seem to be doing well. Swell up nicely. I spot feed 1-2x per week. No growth yet per se (honestly I'm just glad they're not dead :) ). 

Ive been reading a bit on calcium/alkalinity supplements over the past few days and it's one thing I haven't been testing for or doing since I've had the tank running. I'm trying to figure out how worried I need to be about it at this point since I don't have big sps eating it up (but do have a torch). 

Any tips on what's worked in your experience w your larger setup?

@TripleTrouble for my larger tank i mainly use my light Current Orbit Marine about 95 percent blue with 35 percent white. Once a week every Saturday i use my Turkey Baster and use a couple small squirts of Phyto Feast http://reefnutrition.com/phyto_feast.php into my side power heads so it circulates through out all of my corals, clam etc. All of my corals really love this stuff. Yes after you put it into your tank it will be cloudy for a little while the solution is more thick and my Skimmer in my sump goes crazy. I have noticed significant growth in all more corals. 

As far as calcium/alkalinity i haven't really had any issues or needed to dose anything.  Almost all of my corals are photosynthesis type so i really only need a good light setup. But i do use the Phyto Feast once a week for extra little feast for my friends. So im sticking to what has been working for a long time. If its not broke dont fix it :) 

TripleTrouble

Same here wrt corals in my tank, I suppose. My main concern is the torch. It's sort of retreated over the past few days....not as wide spread as it was in the shop when I purchased it. I guess I'll let it settle in for a bit more time and then reassess in a week or so. I should probably pick up some additional test kits before I start dosing anything. 

1 minute ago, TripleTrouble said:

Same here wrt corals in my tank, I suppose. My main concern is the torch. It's sort of retreated over the past few days....not as wide spread as it was in the shop when I purchased it. I guess I'll let it settle in for a bit more time and then reassess in a week or so. I should probably pick up some additional test kits before I start dosing anything. 

Is the torch in a high flow water area? I notice when i moved mine in my big tank from a high flow area to a moderate it seems to like that much better and tends to open fully. What are your parameters in your water now ? 

Update:

I got my new In Tank Media Basket and installed it last night.

3D Rock Background came in last night also. A little thicker than i had hoped so i will probably get another and put it in my Main Tank

My water Salinity finally hit 1.25 Last night. The rest the water Perams are all perfect. 

Im just waiting on my light which by the looks of things will be in tomorrow. :( The Lagged a bit on the shipping but what can i do. 

That only means one thing. FRAG TIME!! LETS GO! 

So i asked before and now i need a suggestion on my first 2 frags..

Suggestions? I will be uploading pictures with all the changes and updates this weekend. 

I'd vote a bright, pretty/funky/cool zoa or paly and either a funky mushroom or maybe a softy like a leather or something, and if you want to try a stony maybe a duncan or blasto or something (I :wub: blastos).

But really, it just boils down to what you like and what you want to do with this tank! :happy:

TripleTrouble

I started w Hammer and Acans and they seem to be doing well so far. But agree it'll depend on what catches your eye....particularly if you go see in person. Personally I've walked into shops thinking I was going to get one thing then saw something else that was much cooler (ie went in for GSP and wound up getting Acans) 

On 4/20/2017 at 11:47 AM, Johnin714 said:

Is the torch in a high flow water area? I notice when i moved mine in my big tank from a high flow area to a moderate it seems to like that much better and tends to open fully. What are your parameters in your water now ? 

@Johnin714 by the way. Shifted the torch slightly in the tank more towards the side of some of my rock work and he's rockin and rolling. Full extension and looks happy. Hope it stays that way!

20 minutes ago, TripleTrouble said:

I started w Hammer and Acans and they seem to be doing well so far. But agree it'll depend on what catches your eye....particularly if you go see in person. Personally I've walked into shops thinking I was going to get one thing then saw something else that was much cooler (ie went in for GSP and wound up getting Acans) 

@Johnin714 by the way. Shifted the torch slightly in the tank more towards the side of some of my rock work and he's rockin and rolling. Full extension and looks happy. Hope it stays that way!

That's great! Glad the Torch is much happier now! 

Some new updates:

My new Light never came in Saturday so it made my Coral Selection a bit more picky. However its set to arrive today. 

Picked up Neon Brian Coral

Small Zoa Colony on a live rock

Purple Anemone (Deciding he may go to my Main tank as this kind acts more like a coral and Clowns wont Pair with them) 

Removed my Live Reef Branches and put them in my main tanks sump for now. I felt it was taking to much room and didnt look as "Reefy" enough so i went with with Reef Rock instead. 

Added 5Lb Live Reef Rock to replace the Reef Rock Branches.  

Added 1 Emerald Crab 

Added 1 Pulsing Xenia (for now) 

Added new Media Filter with my New Media Basket 

Added 8tbls of Utramaxx in bag with Media Basket

New light should be a lot better and i will take more pics of it tonight. 

I will be adding Crypotnite coral and some acans as well as a new Bubble Anemone (the plan is a to get a mated pair of clowns or some smaller clowns for now)IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.87e0087a50223ab228ffac3ac98cf98d.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

Oooh look at all the feather dusters on your zoa rock! :wub:

I will say, 5 gallons is pretty tight for one clown, much less two, and that's with no other fish in there.  Might recommend sticking with the chromis for now. ;)

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oooh look at all the feather dusters on your zoa rock! :wub:

I will say, 5 gallons is pretty tight for one clown, much less two, and that's with no other fish in there.  Might recommend sticking with the chromis for now. ;)

Yes for sure for sure. Clowns i know need a lot more space. It would only be temporary (quarantine tank/hospital tank) Its still up in the air. If i was to get one clown it would be a small juvenile one again assuming i get one. Right now i'm leaning more towards a small goby or something like that Green Clown Goby or something close to him. Any suggestions ? 

GCG's would be perfect!  I have always wanted to try a green banded goby, myself.  Lots of people like the bright color a yellow clown goby brings to a tank but you have to make sure they're fat and eating first.  If this would be a quarantine tank and then the clowns would go into the big tank, that would be just fine!

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

GCG's would be perfect!  I have always wanted to try a green banded goby, myself.  Lots of people like the bright color a yellow clown goby brings to a tank but you have to make sure they're fat and eating first.  If this would be a quarantine tank and then the clowns would go into the big tank, that would be just fine!

Ohh wow those are some awesome looking Gobies ! The Green Banded looks really nice as well as the Yellow Clown Goby. I think i have my heart set on either or. Now the question is to find one somewhere in stock lol. You think its possible to house one of each of these Gobies in this tank? Or stick to 1 and keep the Cromie ?

I believe gobies can exhibit aggression towards one another; I am not sure if it's just similar-shaped gobies (i.e. the two different clown gobies) or all small gobies (I'd do some research to be sure).  But I wouldn't put more than 1-2 fish in a tank this size period just due to the potential bioload.

2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I believe gobies can exhibit aggression towards one another; I am not sure if it's just similar-shaped gobies (i.e. the two different clown gobies) or all small gobies (I'd do some research to be sure).  But I wouldn't put more than 1-2 fish in a tank this size period just due to the potential bioload.

True and very good point. I think one Goby and one Chromie maybe a peppermint shrimp or two and i think that will do it for the live stock. The rest will just be working on Corals. 

Sounds good!  Though keep your eye on the peps, mine decided ripping out my zoa skirts was more fun than eating the aiptasia I bought them for. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sounds good!  Though keep your eye on the peps, mine decided ripping out my zoa skirts was more fun than eating the aiptasia I bought them for. :rolleyes:

Yea about that... Hmmmm i had a great little colony of Zoa's in my main until something like my wrasse started picking at them. I wont let that happen again especially with a tank this small i can control the live stock better 

Maybe a Blennie instead? 

Archived