Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diatoms/brown algae bloom and blue light and adjusting photo period.

smac0806

Soo...I have a diatom/brown algae bloom. I knew it was going to happen and that I just have to let it cycle, do water changes, reduce photo period, keep nitrates down, etc. I have two questions regarding the algae, if I keep my blue light on, is that the same as turning the lights off so photosynthesis of the diatoms shuts down?  There is some starting to grow on my toadstools, is this going to hurt them? (no pictures, it's just run of the mill diatoms)

Next, I'd like to adjust the photoperiod so that the lights turn on and off later. What is the best way to do this? Give them a longer night or gradually adjust? 

Thanks in advance!!

Diatoms are just part of the maturing of the tank. Once the food source is gone, it will be too. Its main food source is silicate.

Reducing lights only reduces the appearance of diatoms. 

Turning blues on is not like turning off the lights. Blue is actually really important for corals.

Reducing whites can help with reducing algae. Keeping  greens in low percentages as well.

For me, I'd just change the photo period to the time you want. Doesn't sound like the tank is very old or overly stalked.

As for the diatoms on the leather, try using a turkey baster and see if it can be removed or get some clean up crew

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Diatoms are just part of the maturing of the tank. Once the food source is gone, it will be too. Its main food source is silicate.

Reducing lights only reduces the appearance of diatoms. 

Turning blues on is not like turning off the lights. Blue is actually really important for corals.

Reducing whites can help with reducing algae. Keeping  greens in low percentages as well.

For me, I'd just change the photo period to the time you want. Doesn't sound like the tank is very old or overly stalked.

As for the diatoms on the leather, try using a turkey baster and see if it can be removed or get some clean up crew

Thank you. :) I appreciate the response. 

• 2 years later...

I have a fluval aquasky but it has only gren blue red and white. In the tank i have one anemone fishes and the white rocks but they are turning brown, my question is what % on each should i put?