ReefCleaners.org

Zoa, Xenia & Mushroom ID Please

Just_Pete

My brother in law was kind enough to give me a few corals this weekend :)

I'd like to get exact names on these... if possible.

Xenia - I'm kinda worried about this guy... He came off of the plug twice already after being glued. Third time I attached him via fishing line. Hope he pulls through :( 

58e45868e2f43_IMG_40642.thumb.JPG.f9bbf2f58f348884a7a1b7411d846da5.JPG

Zoa - love these... do they have an official name?

58e458abf3d17_IMG_40612.thumb.JPG.4e27cae5ba679518ae0817d846a975f2.JPG

Orange and green dots... not sure what this is?

IMG_4052.thumb.JPG.68ebd7af9c56263f9ab37841859cfd4f.JPG

Red mushroom - this guy came off the plug twice already. Third time gluing him down and he's shriveled up a bit, hope he pulls through.

IMG_4066.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Xenia and mushrooms can't be glued. They slime and thats why they are coming off the plugs. 

You can get a small new tupperware, drill holes in it. Put some rubble from the sand in it and place the shroom and xenia on top. Then place a mesh over the Tupper ware with an elastic band.

They will attach to the rubble within a week.

Check out videos on youtube for fragging these.

I can't tell by the pic what kind of mushroom it is.

The xenia will be fine. You can literally dice them up and throw it back in the tank and have tons grow within weeks.

As for the zoas, the names given aren't official, its just a marketing method. They are all zoanthids.

fallenlordz

That Xenia will be fine.  Can confirm that Xenia are like weeds - I tried to scrape them off rocks - but they just keep coming back.

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Xenia and mushrooms can't be glued. They slime and thats why they are coming off the plugs. 

You can get a small new tupperware, drill holes in it. Put some rubble from the sand in it and place the shroom and xenia on top. Then place a mesh over the Tupper ware with an elastic band.

They will attach to the rubble within a week.

Check out videos on youtube for fragging these.

I can't tell by the pic what kind of mushroom it is.

The xenia will be fine. You can literally dice them up and throw it back in the tank and have tons grow within weeks.

As for the zoas, the names given aren't official, its just a marketing method. They are all zoanthids.

Great idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived