Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro Algae Reactor LEDs

ScubaPooch

Could someone recommend a good LED strip for a macro algae reactor. I see a lot of cheap Chinese ones on Amazon, which would be great, except there are reviews on them with people who have had them catch fire...

Would prefer an LED strip that won't spontaneously combust.

Bonus point if it's easily available in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure on the setup your asking but question is why did they catch on fire . Did get salt creep or water inside the connections . Did they get too hot and no way to be cooled . 

fallenlordz

I just recently made a macro algae reactor also.  I used a warm white led light.  Just bought some cheap 2835 leds reel / waterproof version (5 meters worth) for only $7.00

Just have to solder your own connections.  Used a 12v 2a power supply (which was only $2.50)

All bought off of eBay.

Had a lot left of led reel for other future projects also. :happy:

reactor (1).jpg

Aquathumb83
On 4/3/2017 at 8:20 AM, ScubaPooch said:

Could someone recommend a good LED strip for a macro algae reactor. I see a lot of cheap Chinese ones on Amazon, which would be great, except there are reviews on them with people who have had them catch fire...

Would prefer an LED strip that won't spontaneously combust.

Bonus point if it's easily available in Canada.

Marine Depot sells a 6 foot strip that I'm currently using on my reactor. A little pricey compared to the ones on Ebay. Seems to be working for me so far. http://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_Aquatics_Warm_White_High_Output_Waterproof_LED_Strip_Light_with_Transformer_6_foot_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Accel_Aquatics-6H94602-FILTFILD-vi.html

21 hours ago, Aquathumb83 said:

Marine Depot sells a 6 foot strip that I'm currently using on my reactor. A little pricey compared to the ones on Ebay. Seems to be working for me so far. http://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_Aquatics_Warm_White_High_Output_Waterproof_LED_Strip_Light_with_Transformer_6_foot_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Accel_Aquatics-6H94602-FILTFILD-vi.html

I was interested in that light, but it's $46 to ship to Canada... yikes. Could ship it to somewhere nearby in US though.

Aquathumb83
18 minutes ago, ScubaPooch said:

I was interested in that light, but it's $46 to ship to Canada... yikes. Could ship it to somewhere nearby in US though.

That sucks! I wonder if it could be purchased from somewhere in Canada?

Archived