Cultivated Reef

Kalkwasser

coralreef20g

coralreef20g

Hey guys,

I've got a couple quick questions regarding kalkwasser.

I understand it's used to keep alkalinity and calcium at ideal levels. Although it should not be used to raise these levels as it can also drastically fluctuate ph. So, this is why things like Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride.

Now, if I have a reef tank that's completely new, with no corals and I'm using salt which makes parameters perfect for corals. Calcium: 450 Alkalinity: 9.0 dKH and Magnesium: 1380 with a salinity of 1.026. Will I need to just add kalkwasser to my ato as needed depending on how quickly my corals extract the elements? Or will I also need to dose between weekly water changes with Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride?

As far as corals go I'm planning on having a mixed reef with Acros, Montis, Birdsnest, Duncan's, Acans, Zoanthids and Ricordea.

all answers help immensely! :) 

Nano sapiens
On 3/31/2017 at 8:15 PM, coralreef20g said:

Will I need to just add kalkwasser to my ato as needed depending on how quickly my corals extract the elements?

Yes, that will work.  Kalkwasser does have it's limits as it may not be able to keep up with a reef tank that is full of calcifying corals, so that's when additional 2-part can be used.

For reference, in my old mixed reef 12g, I use around 60% Kalkwasser (of a 100% saturated solution) to 40% RO water in my pet-bottle ATOs.

In my 12g AIO which is about 7 months old I use Kalk in my ATO and it keeps my levels where they need to be but I don't have a large population of hard corals 

Kalk added to the top off can handle a decent amount of calcification, but as others said if yoire tank is full of fast growing SPS the demand will be higher than what can be provided by kalk (as youre limited by how much water you evaporate). 

That said its great up until that point and its the supplement I'd start with as a beginner. Use the single element chemicals to get your levels where you want them and then use kalk to keep them there.

When you start adding corals I'd hold off on any kind of supplmentation and keep an eye on alk until your water changes aren't keeping up with it anymore. If you add a ton at once I'd begin with the assumption you need to start dosing more or less immediately. 

At that point you need to measure how much alk the tank is consuming and how much top off water is added daily and use that information to calculate the amount of kalk to add to the top off water. Keep an eye on things after that and adjust your kalk mix as needed.

Archived