Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which fish 1st??

Minmay

Hi gays/gals. My tank is almost cycled and Im debating on which fish to get first. My LFS has these designer black/white clowns but she's selling them as mated pair $250. Since finding out she sells clowns as pairs only it has changed the number of stock i will get since my tank is only 13.5g. Im also interested in Hector's Goby. My dilema is that Im newbie in SW. Im not sure if clowns are territorial and need to be added first? Also, since its my 1st time in SW. I dont want to mess up in acclimation process of the expensive clowns so I rather try with the cheaper fish BUT if its Necessary for the clowns to go first then so be it. Any advice Please and thank you. 

gone_PHiSHin

put the goby in first and give him a good couple months before adding the clowns.  also, those three fish are pretty much your max for that tank.

go slow and learn your tank before committing to a $250 pair of fish, especially since you are new to the whole thing.  I don't think the acclimation process is where you'll have any problems, it's the swings in parameters after you put them in that will potentially cause problems.

in the meantime, read, read, and read some more! educate yourself the best you can BEFORE making any decisions!

Everyone has different experiences, there's no perfect way and no way to prevent anything bad from ever happening.. its just not possible. You can be cautious yes, but also take all the time in the world and still end up with issues.

I have the Fluval Sea Evo 13.5. Here's what I did for livestock. After my tank cycled, I added 2 perc clowns, 2 weeks later I added a Yellow Watchman Goby with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.. 1 week later I added a cleaner shrimp and a porcelain crab. 2 weeks after that I added my final fish.. which is a Tail Spot Blenny. My tank is maxed out, I'm sure ppl will say over stocked. But my water parameters are good and my corals and fish are doing great. I've had no issues with my fish being territorial or anything like that. The only issue I had was when I introduced the blenny it went into the rock/cave that the pistol shrimp and goby claimed and I heard lots of snapping.. the Blenny now lives happily at the other end of the tank.

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

put the goby in first and give him a good couple months before adding the clowns.  also, those three fish are pretty much your max for that tank.

go slow and learn your tank before committing to a $250 pair of fish, especially since you are new to the whole thing.  I don't think the acclimation process is where you'll have any problems, it's the swings in parameters after you put them in that will potentially cause problems.

in the meantime, read, read, and read some more! educate yourself the best you can BEFORE making any decisions!

Thank you. I'll have to try and find a Hector's Goby that also eats mysis or brine. I've read that they eat pods amd algae but my tank is not established yet but I'll also buy pods that my LFS makes. 

17 minutes ago, Slayer33 said:

Everyone has different experiences, there's no perfect way and no way to prevent anything bad from ever happening.. its just not possible. You can be cautious yes, but also take all the time in the world and still end up with issues.

I have the Fluval Sea Evo 13.5. Here's what I did for livestock. After my tank cycled, I added 2 perc clowns, 2 weeks later I added a Yellow Watchman Goby with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.. 1 week later I added a cleaner shrimp and a porcelain crab. 2 weeks after that I added my final fish.. which is a Tail Spot Blenny. My tank is maxed out, I'm sure ppl will say over stocked. But my water parameters are good and my corals and fish are doing great. I've had no issues with my fish being territorial or anything like that. The only issue I had was when I introduced the blenny it went into the rock/cave that the pistol shrimp and goby claimed and I heard lots of snapping.. the Blenny now lives happily at the other end of the tank.

Thank you Slayer. I have the same tank and I love it so far. My original stock ideas were 1 designer black/white clown, randall goby w/candy pistol shrimp, purple fire fish and blood red fire shrimp. So now I'll prolly just get those designer mated pair, hector's goby and blood red fire shrimp. Are you going to make a refugium with one of the chambers? I decided to make a refugium out of the middle chamber amd grow pods out of there. 

I'd say 2 clowns is max for a 13.5 which isn't 13.5 gallons once rock and sand are added.

Clowns create a lot of waste.

My experience, I have added goby's 2 yrs after my clowns(which attack me) with no issue.

Each fish is different, each experience is different.

I'd stick to the clowns only and i'd never pay $250 for a pair because thats quite a loss of $$ of something should happen.

The hectors goby btw, is known to be a tough goby to keep and a new tank really won't have enough food for it to live on. Supplementing with nori may help but will also pollute the tank.

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'd say 2 clowns is max for a 13.5 which isn't 13.5 gallons once rock and sand are added.

Clowns create a lot of waste.

My experience, I have added goby's 2 yrs after my clowns(which attack me) with no issue.

Each fish is different, each experience is different.

I'd stick to the clowns only and i'd never pay $250 for a pair because thats quite a loss of $$ of something should happen.

The hectors goby btw, is known to be a tough goby to keep and a new tank really won't have enough food for it to live on. Supplementing with nori may help but will also pollute the tank.

Yes I've read that Goby's can be hard to keep and they need supplementing. Since my tank is still cycling do you think I should keep the light on for algae to grow for it to eat?

Archived