Pod Your Reef

Nic's ADA 60F Shallow

Nic

Ran my water tests today and did a few minor adjustments.

PH: 7.8

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 0ppm

Phosphates: 0.5-1.0ppm

Calcium: 420ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0dkh

I dosed:

0.5ml of Coral Snow

0.5ml of Zeostart3

1.0ml Reef Code B Calcium and Alkalinity Buffer

Following the dosing:

Phosphates: Undetectable (Don't think Coral Snow works this fast, may have just been a faulty reading the first go round)

Alkalinity: 8dkh

Calcium: 460ppm

PH: 8.0

Added a tad bit too much Reef Code B. Next time will stick to 0.5-0.75ml. May have raised the PH a little too much, a little too fast but everything seems fine. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice tank!  The 60F has such lovely dimensions, I was looking at it myself a while back.  And George is too cute!  Hope your SPS starts recovering, it'd be a shame to lose such nice pieces!

Thanks Lula! I'm certainly holding out hope that the couple of frags and colony pull through. It's been a bit of a mystery as to why the STN started on only certain ones and not others given that the tank parameters have been normal. I started dosing Zeobak3, Coral Snow, and Reef Code B in an effort to boost some of my numbers. The phosphates were up just a bit in huessingbas a result of taking the GFO out hence the Coral Snow, thought the tank could benefit from the added bacterial support from the Zeobak and wanted to boost my calcium, alkalinity, and PH just a tad bit which, other than the alkalinity remaining the same, seems to have been a success. 

George is a character!

FTS 05/05/17

vFThcNl.jpg

Tank is slightly cloudy from the addition of Coral Snow. Algae is completely gone except for the little bit still on the bottom of the tank glass. I cleaned out the algae reactor completely and will be adding a new ball of Chaeto this weekend. The STN seems have stopped on all of the SPS, though the Bali Shortcake colony still doesn't look all that great. Still holding out hope it will start to regrow. 

Hey Nic you have to frag the bali shortcake. The STN is not going to stop. Frag away the base and any areas that are showing stn and then reglue those STN free frags to a piece of live rock. Please do it quickly and do it to any frags that are showing any sign of STN/RTN

18 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Hey Nic you have to frag the bali shortcake. The STN is not going to stop. Frag away the base and any areas that are showing stn and then reglue those STN free frags to a piece of live rock. Please do it quickly and do it to any frags that are showing any sign of STN/RTN

Thanks for the advice, Hype. Went ahead and fragged the Bali Shortcake into three frags and one of the torts, as well. All the other SPS have been doing well except for a little color loss in my Oregon Tort, though it seems to be improving as well. 

LZ0FE0Q.jpg

Sc3v0KT.jpg

g5VsrzP.jpg

N9teUA4.jpg

bu6vFOZ.jpg

1 hour ago, Nic said:

Thanks for the advice, Hype. Went ahead and fragged the Bali Shortcake into three frags and one of the torts, as well. All the other SPS have been doing well except for a little color loss in my Oregon Tort, though it seems to be improving as well. 

No worries. I can just tell you from experience thats the best course of action.  Just keep your parameters as stable as possible and dont make any large changes...slow and steady

2 minutes ago, Rehype said:

No worries. I can just tell you from experience thats the best course of action.  Just keep your parameters as stable as possible and dont make any large changes...slow and steady

Will do. I've been attempting to adjust the PH and alkalinity just a bit as its a tad bit lower than I would want but I'm making sure that the adjustments are small. Hopefully they'll be able to bounce back and I'll have three new corals out of one!

I hate how bad the Bali Shortcake has gotten to looking over the past few weeks. It was such a gorgeous pink color with yellow growth tips and whatever was going on has mottled the coloration badly. 

17800246_779165682241679_4380232413961144714_n.jpg.fdef7cf15224aa7a281069e6218783c6.jpg

6 hours ago, Nic said:

I hate how bad the Bali Shortcake has gotten to looking over the past few weeks. It was such a gorgeous pink color with yellow growth tips and whatever was going on has mottled the coloration badly. 

17800246_779165682241679_4380232413961144714_n.jpg.fdef7cf15224aa7a281069e6218783c6.jpg

Hopefully you can figure out what's going on and get it colored back up.  It sure is a pretty piece!

FTS 05/12/17

BnY32AA.jpg

All is well in the tank with one single exception. The largest frag I made of the Bali shortcake is continuing to STN. The others seem to be doing well. My LPS are looking wonderful since I began dosing calcium, alkalinity, ZeoStart 3, and Coral Snow. 

Archived