Pod Your Reef

White stringy substance coming from clownfish

henningero

I just got back into reefing after a few years off with a new IM Nuvo 30L. It finished cycling a few weeks ago, and I just added my first fish, a small (1") Platinum Percula Clownfish.

He's been in for about 3 days now, doesn't leave the bottom right  corner of the tank, and eats very little (frozen mysis and 1mm pe pellets).

My tank parameters are SG: 1.025, PH 8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, Temp 77.

Anyway since he's my first fish and only inhabitant, I didn't QT him, and I've noticed a white stringy substance coming from his rear end.

I've done some reading, and some suggest parasites, others say it's normal, maybe from the mysis. I sent the LFS I bought it from this same picture and he said don't worry about it. This is a new LFS to me, since it opened during my hiatus, and they say that they QT/treat all fish for 30 days before putting them out, and that none of the others have this issue.

Should I believe him, treat just in case, or wait and see? I have no coral in the tank yet, so I assume that I can treat in the DT depending on the treatment.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

IMG_20170326_191814.jpg

IMG_20170326_191750.jpg

Looks like parasites...  worms.  Although I haven't had any experience in treating them, I've read that a freshwater (RODI) dip may help.

Pinner Reef

I agree that it's a parasite. I'd suggest Prazi-pro; it's safe to add to reef tanks directly so long as you don't have any shrimp in the tank. Also there is an anti-parasitic food that you can purchase. 

Thanks for the replies. I like the FW dip idea and may try that first. I've heard of using the Prazi directly in the DT, and I guess that's the route that I'll go if the FW dip doesn't yield any results. I'll have to research the anti-parasitic foods since I never heard of that. Maybe a possibility. I'm currently planning a QT system for any further fish that I plan to add down the road.

Thanks again for the replies, I'll keep this post updated with my results.

Mysis can cause white stringy poop.

It could also be parasites.

The only two options to determine

1. Stop feeding frozen mysis daily

2. Or start treating the fish

Nano sapiens

^^ this.  Mine had the same issue while being fed Mysis (which I feed regularly), so I saw this for years and the fish was completely healthy.  Generally, if parasites are involved a fish will become listless and emaciated and the belly on this one does look sunken. The good news is that it is eating, even if only a small amount (they do take a while to acclimate to a new tank).

I'd first try the least stressful method and simply not feed mysids for a few weeks and see if the stingy feces clears up and appetite improves.

He's starting to eat much better, and actively going after pellets and mysis now, but he still has the stringy poop. Since he's now eating the pellets readily, I think I'm going to stop with the mysis and see what happens. Thanks for all of the replies!

I've never freshwater dipped a fish, but alot of people swear by it. Can you tell me why you recommend not doing it? Is it just too stressful for the fish? Also, besides mysis, what is a good frozen food to feed along with the pe pellets? Thanks.

Nano sapiens

Freshwater dip is generally used for ectoparasites (the difference in osmotic pressure is what kills them) and undoutedly stresses the fish somewhat.  The process would have little effect on gastrointestinal parasites, however.

Spirulina enriched brine shrimp is a good food since Clownfish benefit from some vegetable matter in their diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since switching off of the mysis to spirulina enriched brine I'm happy to say that my Picasso Clown no longer has white stringy poop, just good ole brown(ish) fish poop! Thanks to everyone who replied!

I also added a second fish, a lubbock's fairy wrasse. He's been doing well, but he really likes the hideout he made under my rocks! He swims around as long as I stay away, but when I approach the tank he darts to his "safe space". Hopefully he gets used to me so I can see him swimming around more often! He's eating well, so I guess that's a good sign. I've never had a wrasse before, but so far I like him alot.

Archived