Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Attempting a Nano

KevinS

Ok, I have decided I am going to do this. I posted before asking for some information on these nano tanks. (See http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=3593)

Anyway, here is what I was planning on doing. From what I have been reading (I know there are 2 schools of thought on this) but its sounds like I don't need a skimmer, and a BSD is not effective enough to bother with in a nano, and may cause more trouble then its worth, so I am sticking with a 1" sand bed.

One question about setup. Which is better to add first, the live sand, then the live rock, or visa versa. I Would think the sand would be best to avoid coating the rocks when the sand is added a week or two later. But on the other hand it would be easier to add the rock first so that it is resting on the bottom of the tank instead of the sand.

Based on setups from other people, and what I like, here is what I am leaning toward:

Equipment:

10 Gallon Glass Aquarium.

2x36 Watt Power Compact Light Fixture & Hood from www.ahsupply.com

10K 36 Watt & Actinic 36 Watt from www.hellolights.com

CPR AquaFuge 18 refugium

Maxijet 400 Powerhead

100 Watt Ebo Jager Heater (can I put this in the refugium?)

Auto Top-Off:

MiniJet 606 MiniPump

Float Switch from www.californiareefs.com/

Filtration:

15lbs Live Rock (Deco Rock from www.gulf-view.com)

5lbs Live Sand from www.gulf-view.com

xlbs Carib Sea Reef sand to make ~1" sand bed (bsd sounds like its not worth it)

LiveStock:

1 False Percula Clown

1 Skunk Shrimp Cleaner

1 Turbo snail

~5 Astrea snails

~4 Blue leg hermits

Green Star Polyps

Favia

Red Open Brain

A leather of some sort

Blue Mushroom Rock

misc macro algae's for refugium

Please point out any mistakes you see in this setup. The livestock is totally flexible, since it is obviously the last to be added, and is a long way away from being needed, so that list will probably be massaged as time passes :)

Thanks!

Kevin S.

Wow, looks very well planned out to me. To address a few of your questions:

Yes, feel free to put the heater in the fuge. In fact, I would recommend it. No hot spots in your main tank, that way, and it makes it less visually distracting.

I didn't know BSD had been ported to nano-reefs, though. That's amazing. And I thought the Dreamcast port was cool (sorry, bad geek humor... did you mean DSB?).

Just for reference with the CaribSea sand, in my 10g, 20lbs of fine live sand made a 2" bed.

As for the order to add sand and rock, I would add the rock first, for stability. Then I add the sand to the floor of the aquarium with a cup, trying my hardest not to pour any onto the rocks. Then I use my hands to spread it around, and under the rocks. Works pretty well for me.

I think that covers the equipment... I really think you'll have a well-designed system there. Doesn't look like you're cutting any corners. Kudos to you.

With the livestock, that's a good initial list, but I'm sure it won't be long before you're ready to add more. You can easily handle 3 fish, bio-load wise, since you have the refugium. I'd consider two clowns and a cute little goby or barnacle blenny. I think you'll definitely enjoy adding more corals, too. I love getting little frags here and there and watching them grow out.

Good luck, it looks like you're off to a great start.

Matthew

Yea, DSB thats what I meant :) As far as bio load, that is one thing I haven't figured out yet, seems to depend on a lot of factors. I basically set that configuration up based on what other people's tanks (that looked nice) had in them. I know to stay away from SPS and clams.

But as far as the live rock and sand. From what I read I should add one, but not both initially, give it some time, wait for the cycle to finish, and then add the other. Is this correct? or can I add them both. (getting from the same place, so it would be easier to just order both at once, but if its a problem, I can wait)

As for boload, it's really hard to give rules of thumb.... but since I have a 10g (no fuge), maybe it's a little easier in this case. Really, without a fuge, a tank with a lot of LR/LS can easily handle two average fish, like ocellaris or percula clowns. If you are really good at feeding and not wasting food, you can squeeze in a third, but it'd be best if it were a low-activity fish, like a small goby.

Adding the refugium gives you an advatnage in two ways. First, it increases your water volume, which thereby disippates water polution. Secondly, the macro algae grown in the fuge is a very good biological filter and will further improve your bio-load tolerance. At which point you can easily handle the third fish.

However, there's still the issue of space, so the fish should be chosen accordingly. I'd avoid anythign that is an open-water swimmer, as it'll tend to have confrontations with the mid-water swimmer ocelalris clowns. Small gobies (neon, red-head, citron/clown, etc.) and blennies (red-eye barnacle variety) are fish that will not intrude on the clowns space, and have a relatively nominal impact on the bioload.

As for the sand/rock thing, I add them both at the same time. Really, I see no advantage to spreading it out. Yes, your ammonia may spike higher, but overall, the cycle will go quicker (if there is one). So the only real disadvantage in my book is that your tank might smell a little worse for a day or to. So don't go sniffing it.

And really, with your lighting, you could probably even handle lower-light clams and even some of SPS, if you can maintain your water quality.

Hey Kev, nice name ;)

Your plan looks great... no flaws that I can find. I agree with Matthew as to putting the rock and sand in together. The sand will blow around a bit at first and coat the rocks either way. It's no big deal to blow the rocks clean with a turkey baster once everything settles down.

On the cleanup crew: when your tank's ready, add them slowly in response to algae growth. You don't want them to starve after they clean it all up. And if you get the Turbo, get the smallest one you can find. I have 2 juvies in my 10g, and they do a fantastic job, but they're getting bigger and I'm afraid one will soon have to go. They tend to knock stuff over as they lumber around. Enjoy the new addiction :)

Kevin

what do I need to do with this deco live rock from gulf-view once I get it? do you just drop it into the tank, and hope for the best? It sounds like its dumb luck if you get any unwanted hitchhikers or not. Also I don't think this is cured at all, anything I need to do special for it?

Thanks

Kevin S.

Get your tank going- mix your salt and setup all your equipment. When the rock and sand arrives just put it in. Gulf View does a really good job and you won't have that much die off. Their rock is harvested and shipped to your door within about a day so there's not much to cure. You can allow it to cycle right in your tank since that's all that will be in there.

As for the hitchikers, the vast majority will be beneficial and harmless. If you get anything nasty, you'll find out soon enough and you can worry about it then. There's not much you can do to screen out anything bad that might be in there, if that's what you mean.

Archived