Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red Sea Reefer 170

RyanRe1n8olt

RyanRe1n8olt

What should i put in my sump if my reefer 170?? I would like more than just a protein skimmer if possible but space is limited with that sump. Price does not matter. What would you guys recommend?

RyanRe1n8olt

If anyone is farmiliar with this sump, what would you recommend for using in this sump? As far as socks to gather debris. A pump for returning water to the aquarium. A skimmer. Filter media etc. If it is possible, would i be able to get a reactor in there too? Ideally i would like a sump with a skimmer, reactor and a place for probes 

RyanRe1n8olt
1 hour ago, flobees said:

Set up My 170 about 3 months ago. Here is my sump. This will give you an idea.

E7D5E454-7E50-4759-A80A-63BD9E1F82FA.jpg[/URL]

Okay thats awesome. So you have an external reactor it looks like for bio pellets? A pump to collect the water then just a tube to return the water? What skimmer is that as well? and out of curiousity what is the cup with the green stuff in it. Im assuming some type of refergium? Final question is there any other filter media you have in here or did i get everything

it is a Little fishes reactor I modifies for Biopellets. Pump takes water into the reactor and water comes out goes straight into the skimmer before going into the display. Skimmer is a Icecap K2-50, I decide on this skimmer cos of the size as I do't know what else I want in the sump so having a smaller skimmer will leave me space if I need to put something else there.  As for the green stuff its Cheato in an acrylic box with holes so strands of cheat don't get suck into the pumps. I also have a bag of Carbon where the black sponge was. I took the sponge off as it gets clock up. If you have anymore question. Let me know. Thanks

burtbollinger

skip it and spend the money on a Tunze ATO to replace stock

Forcing usage of media you dont need inside of reactors causes problems IMO.  If you need carbon, run ROX 0.8 in a small sock under the filter sock.  Fight the urge to dik around and add bunch of stuff to a clean setup.

IF I had to add a reactor, I think I'd research the Avast one....but I really dont want to force the issue...AND running GFO just to run it probably is not the best idea...double ditto with biopellets.  its a very good way to mess things up if done without a need.  

invest in a Hanna Phosphate checker or something instead.  theres a lot more to be gained by proper consistent testing than there is by slapping in new equipment.

RyanRe1n8olt
59 minutes ago, flobees said:

it is a Little fishes reactor I modifies for Biopellets. Pump takes water into the reactor and water comes out goes straight into the skimmer before going into the display. Skimmer is a Icecap K2-50, I decide on this skimmer cos of the size as I do't know what else I want in the sump so having a smaller skimmer will leave me space if I need to put something else there.  As for the green stuff its Cheato in an acrylic box with holes so strands of cheat don't get suck into the pumps. I also have a bag of Carbon where the black sponge was. I took the sponge off as it gets clock up. If you have anymore question. Let me know. Thanks

Okay thank you!

36 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

skip it and spend the money on a Tunze ATO to replace stock

Forcing usage of media you dont need inside of reactors causes problems IMO.  If you need carbon, run ROX 0.8 in a small sock under the filter sock.  Fight the urge to dik around and add bunch of stuff to a clean setup.

IF I had to add a reactor, I think I'd research the Avast one....but I really dont want to force the issue...AND running GFO just to run it probably is not the best idea...double ditto with biopellets.  its a very good way to mess things up if done without a need.  

invest in a Hanna Phosphate checker or something instead.  theres a lot more to be gained by proper consistent testing than there is by slapping in new equipment.

I already have a tunze auto top of. Didnt want to take a chance with the one that came with the tank. Ill get the hanna phosphate checker. Just looking at a reactor for my sump to use only when needed. If i have the room for one i will purchase one but only use it as necessary. What skimmer would you recommend that is generally small and leaves room in the sump

burtbollinger

research if you need the phosphate vs phosphous checker....I went phosphate because I only want ballpark to know if I'm having a phosphate problem.

I really really love my Bubble Magus Curve 5.  Its working wonderfully....lots of people having success with it in the Reefer 170.

On space...bottom line, if you need a reactor, you are going to be able to fit it somehow, someway.  no worries.

RyanRe1n8olt
22 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

research if you need the phosphate vs phosphous checker....I went phosphate because I only want ballpark to know if I'm having a phosphate problem.

I really really love my Bubble Magus Curve 5.  Its working wonderfully....lots of people having success with it in the Reefer 170.

On space...bottom line, if you need a reactor, you are going to be able to fit it somehow, someway.  no worries.

Okay thank you. That is a good skimmer, however i cannot find it on any canadian sites and i know my lfs doesnt have it. Any other good skimmers?

Archived