Coral Vue Hydros

First Saltwater Tank Aquascape

TheBig053

Brand new to saltwater/reef aquariums and looking for some input/feedback on my current scape.  The rock is back against the glass since the tank is up against a wall and you cant really see behind it. I realize this presents a challenge to cleaning the glass.  Should I pull it away from the back? Also concerned that I crammed too much rock in there.  Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

IMG_1124.JPG

Couldnt fit the second picture from the side with the OP, so here it is. 

IMG_1126.JPG

6 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Brand new to saltwater/reef aquariums and looking for some input/feedback on my current scape.  The rock is back against the glass since the tank is up against a wall and you cant really see behind it. I realize this presents a challenge to cleaning the glass.  Should I pull it away from the back? Also concerned that I crammed too much rock in there.  Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

IMG_1124.JPG

Couldnt fit the second picture from the side with the OP, so here it is. 

IMG_1126.JPG

Not necessarily too much rock, but I would move it out some for cleaning purposes and for better flow around the rocks.  

I would recommend moving it away from the back wall. Unless you're ok with nasty algae building up. The way it's currently set up, cleaning the back wall would be very difficult. If you moved it away a bit, you would also have much more room for coral placement on the rocks. 

Thanks everyone.  It's the man made Real Reef Rock from LFS.  Not sure how much of that purple is real, but my guess it's not a whole lot :).  

Last night I moved the scape off the back glass and realized how reliant it was on the glass for support, so completely remodeled.  I think I'm going to break the larger rock up front on the right into a smaller piece and have it free standing out in front of the arch.  The arch is pretty sturdy on its own but I think I may epoxy the pieces up top just be safe.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So the top two rocks across the top that form the bridge are fairly sturdy as is.  They almost lock together like puzzle pieces but I was planning on using a tank safe putty/epoxy (is there a difference?) to secure them.  The large triangular shaped rock leaning up against the taller end of the structure in the front isn't going anywhere.  I'd also like to be able to move this rock for cleaning purposes since there is a cave between this rock and the rock in the back.  Thanks for the input everyone.  

Just added a small micra pump and some macroalgae, three hermits(scarlets) and 3 sand snails. My neon velvet damsel/cycler(aptly named Zoom) will soon exit to make room for 2 ocellaris clowns. 

Loving that last scape, TheBig!
Damn, that little cave structure inside the right LR base...:wub:

Nildilsky, I would kick the tonga piece on the left, and move the remaining scape to the left :)
Why on God's good Earth would you put blue gravel in a reef tank, though?!:o:huh: maybe just me getting old... :lol: (I'm 26)

I purchased a betta for her and after it was setup (with blue rocks). I went to take a shower. Came back to what you see. I was like, "Niiiice!" Said with tactful, almost imperceptible sarcasm.

Archived