ReefCleaners.org

mushroom corals newbie

Canadianeh

I am thinking of getting some mushrooms (Rodactis and Ricordia type). I understand that you can glue them onto a rock or frag disc...I got that part. Let's say if i want to glue them side by side or on separate small size rocks. They will grow overtime and take over the surface of the rocks completely, is this correct?

If it is, what happen if there is no more rock surface? will it spread down to the sandbed and affix permanently just like on rocks?

Nano sapiens

Yes, if they do well they will eventually get larger and can split into multiple individuals.  What they do largely depends on tank conditions.  'Shrooms often leave tissue behind if they migrate around and these will become little new ones.

IME with these types of 'shrooms they will try to cling onto the rock, but if they get too crowded a few may detach and float around.  To get them to attach to something, you can put them in a cup with some gravel and they often will attach in a week or three.  You can then glue the shroom-with-gravel foot onto a larger piece of LR.

This will give you an idea of how large and dense Ricordia can get (these have stayed put for a few years now):

58b0bae0e52ab_RicoridaGrouing_022417.jpg.a0616916dc143bf2ef8dc96bc10ee5cd.jpg

Mushrooms don't glue well at all. They slime. The best way is to buy them on a plug, cut the stem of the plug and glue the plug to the rock.

Mushrooms can let go and move on their own if unhappy.

They will grow and cover the rocks. Ricordia are slow growing. 

Not sure if rics and rodactis can be placed next to eachother, one or the other may sting.

Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Not sure if rics and rodactis can be placed next to eachother, one or the other may sting.

Once I tried to mix a Rhodactis in with my Ricordia and it stung all it's neighbors, so I'd say it can be a bit risky and depends on the species/morph of Rhodactis.

gone_PHiSHin

I would suggest Florida ricordea as opposed to yuma until you have a little experience under your belt.  yumas can be very finicky.  I have horrible luck with them unless they are known to have been sourced from home aquaria and have been growing there for generations.  unfortunate, because yumas are one of my favorites

rhodactis grow relatively quickly for me, but can be pretty aggressive

Ya, I stay away from rhodactis for that reason.

I was pretty sure that rics shouldn't be placed next to them.

I love yuma's and floridas. I have a few of each. Never split so far but still doing great. 

thanks for all of the information guys! It looks like Yuma has much better coloration then the Florida ones. I understand that I should not mix the Florida ones and Yuma ones.

I am however looking for the insane color ones. I am in hunting mode :)

I have both in various colours. You will mostly find purple and green ones in Ontario.

Orange/red are hard to come by and very expensive.

burtbollinger

your understanding of gluing a ricordia is wrong.

also, over time, they are gonna kinda go where they want...as mentioned they slime, and over time they will move off of areas where you put them.  youre gonna have a hard time gluing them....and the method of getting them to attach to rubble was annoying as I recall...

also after a few years, they can really start moving and flow can start moving them in unintended ways.  they can really start to get bigger on you...and end up catching flow in ways they didnt in the past.

for a long time i would buy one at a time and place where I wanted....making sure any piece I bought had a nice heavy chunk of rubble on it.

looking back now, the better approach would have been to buy a premium chunk of rock with several nice ricordea already on it...much more money up front but way less hassle....in 2017, I'd be hunting for 5 or 6 colorful ones already on a small rock.  just my 2 cents.

Also, i'd only get orange and pink...way too many green corals in this hobby, the ricordea are a good easy way to add those splashes of red, orange, yellow and pink you want.

6 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

ricordia are gonna kinda go where they want...as mentioned they slime, and over time they will move off of areas where you put them.  youre gonna have a hard time gluing them....and the method of getting them to attach to rubble was annoying as I recall...

also after a few years, they can really start moving and flow can start moving them in unintended ways.  they can really start to get bigger on you...and end up catching flow in ways they didnt in the past.

for a long time i would buy one at a time and place where I wanted....making sure any piece I bought had a nice heavy chunk of rubble on it.

looking back now, the better approach would have been to buy a premium chunk of rock with several nice ricordea already on it...much more money up front but way less hassle....in 2017, I'd be hunting for 5 or 6 colorful ones already on a small rock.  just my 2 cents.

Also, i'd only get orange and pink...way too many green corals in this hobby, the ricordea are a good easy way to add those splashes of red, orange, yellow and pink you want.

oh wow! I can see that you are crazy about them as well hehehe Your sandbed is all covered by them!

I definitely don't want green. I want bringht orange, red, blue or rainbow. 

Nano sapiens
3 hours ago, Canadianeh said:

thanks for all of the information guys! It looks like Yuma has much better coloration then the Florida ones. I understand that I should not mix the Florida ones and Yuma ones.

I am however looking for the insane color ones. I am in hunting mode :)

Actually, you can find great colored morphs of either R. florida or R. yuma.  I'm partial to R. yuma, but the wild ones tend to be difficult as they can 'melt' for undetermined reasons (look for aquacultured whenever possible).

IME, you can put both types of Ricordia togeter, floridas and yumas, and they will get along.  Not so much with Ricorida and Rhodactis as the Ricordia will likely be stung.

burtbollinger
27 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

oh wow! I can see that you are crazy about them as well hehehe Your sandbed is all covered by them!

I definitely don't want green. I want bringht orange, red, blue or rainbow. 

This is an older tank...I was, and I had visions of a ricordea sandbed, but what happens overtime is they get big, start shifting, flow starts hitting them weird.  

SelectedByNature

I recently got two Florida Ricordeas and they are pretty awesome looking. 

I got a green one three weeks ago and it it now on the rocks, reading this I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

I got a yellow one that is pretty big last week and a small blue one was thrown in too. Now I have two on the substrate... I guess I should find a nice area in the substrate for them? Does anyone have positive experiences putting them on rocks?

Nano sapiens
42 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Does anyone have positive experiences putting them on rocks?

These are all attached to two rocks, you just can't see them as they are covered by the 'shrooms:

58b0bae0e52ab_RicoridaGrouing_022417.jpg

burtbollinger
57 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

I recently got two Florida Ricordeas and they are pretty awesome looking. 

I got a green one three weeks ago and it it now on the rocks, reading this I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

I got a yellow one that is pretty big last week and a small blue one was thrown in too. Now I have two on the substrate... I guess I should find a nice area in the substrate for them? Does anyone have positive experiences putting them on rocks?

low on rocks is fine if they are attaching there and not blowing around, leave them alone....they dont have to be on sand...

fishfreak0114

I haven't had much luck with ricordea Florida, they all shrunk and most have melted away regardless of where I put them.  Think I'm down to two tiny ones.  However, I have two ric. Yuma doing great.    Both have moved a ways away from where I put them, unfortunately they're now out of sight somewhat.

The person is in cda and i believe in the gta area.

They will not find a rock encrusted with ricordia unless they luck out buying from someones tank- which isn't very typical out here. 

The most common thing you will find is 1 ric per plug and they are about $30 each/head for green or purple.

Orange is about $60-70 per head. 

I have never had any issues with rics. 

Now other types of mushrooms have grown to ridiculous sizes, moved, split fast.

Another option for getting them to attach to a singulae rock is by placing the mushroom on it, wrapping mesh over it, using an elastic to hold down the mesh. Within a week it will attach but it still can let go at any time it wants.

Cutting rics off plugs can be tricky.

burtbollinger
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The person is in cda and i believe in the gta area.

They will not find a rock encrusted with ricordia unless they luck out buying from someones tank- which isn't very typical out here. 

The most common thing you will find is 1 ric per plug and they are about $30 each/head for green or purple.

Orange is about $60-70 per head. 

I have never had any issues with rics. 

Now other types of mushrooms have grown to ridiculous sizes, moved, split fast.

Another option for getting them to attach to a singulae rock is by placing the mushroom on it, wrapping mesh over it, using an elastic to hold down the mesh. Within a week it will attach but it still can let go at any time it wants.

Cutting rics off plugs can be tricky.

rubble in bottom of shot glass....put the ric on top.  add mesh lid to top of glass.  wait.

Thats another method. But cutting them off the plug is tricky as their foot is different than other mushrooms 

I personally find snapping the plug stem off and glueing the plug to the rock is easiest. Mushrooms generally cover the plug, so no issue

I have pretty good luck with mushroom corals. Have a superman which has turned into three heads. I recently got a Florida ricordia orange with a blue centre area and green glowing mouth. Canada corals get some very nice ones in but they go fast. They tend to close up at night and open nicely when lights are on. Pretty much take care of themselves.

IMG_20170323_213300.jpg

Archived