Innovative Marine Aquariums

Back At It Again - A 7.1g SPS Tank Build

andrewprime1

andrewprime1

And Here We Go... Again.

emOamik.jpg

Well, after years without a tank, I have been bitten by the bug again. My friends just moved in with a guy who has a 200-gallon FOWLR tank and after talking with him every time I visit and staring longingly at his tank, I couldn't resist. I always liked smaller tanks, so when a super quick search yielded this little beauty, I had to go for it. Because I still have most of my equipment from past tanks,  I figured this would be a pretty budget build. One week in and I already know that was a pipe dream... Oh well, I am this far into it, why not take the plunge!?

Tank Specs - 3/26/17

Tank: Ultum Nature Systems 7.1 gal Rimless Cube 

Light: Aqua Illuminations Prime

Controller: Reef Keeper Lite

Pump: EcoTech MP-10 

Heater: Ehiem Heater 

Filtration: Oceanic 20 gal Sump 

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0

Protein Skimmer: Undecided

Livestock

Coral!!

Maybe a small goby/shrimp pair...

Some inverts, of course

Did I mention coral?? Seriously, that is pretty much all I care about.

PPfiCIK.jpg?1

I have never done a tank with a sump, so seeing as this is my smallest tank yet, why not throw a sump in there too? Here I am trying to figure out the best way to fit the plumbing on the back panel. I want to do the Herbie-style overflow, but there just wasn't the space to safely plumb in the return, so it will have to go over the tank rim. Oh well.

MRWAXN2.jpg

My initial crack at the overflow box. This is a bit tight, so I am going to get make another one with sides that are a bit bigger. Gonna use a Dremel to cut the teeth, I have no idea if the slits are going to be wide enough for good flow. Hopefully, dumb luck pays off for me. Wouldn't be the first time. 

• Like 2
andrewprime1

Thanks! I am really stoked as well. I forgot how addicting this stuff was.

I did manage to get her drilled today. First time and I didn't break anything. I was pretty much terrified the whole time.

Whew! 

IMG_7716.JPG

• Like 1
andrewprime1

Alright, bunch of updates for you guys. I cut the notches for my overflow, and I really hope they are big enough... Used a Dremel with the cutoff wheel and a steady hand, actually really pleased with how clean they look! I got the box all welded up, 'coned into the tank, and prepped it for paint.

bmjDhvc.jpg

PNFJYzg.jpg

uKt0N4A.jpg

And there she is! I didn't paint the middle, behind the overflow, because I wanted to be able to look back there. Now I kinda wish I would have painted the top half or something, but oh well. I am getting so pumped to get this thing wet! 

I also have been ruthlessly scanning my local reef forums and craigslist and managed to pick up a sump and an AI Prime for a killer deal. With the back painted, overflow installed and plumbing finished, the thing looks ready to go. I am really having fun playing with the settings on the light. By far the greatest improvement in fish tanks since I got out of the hobby is the advent of these super powerful LED fixtures. 

wZVfU6O.jpg

Obligatory FTS 

3Sf3CnY.jpg

Little close up on the overflow section.

z8nQtoy.jpg

Don't have a picture of the completed plumbing yet, but here is a shot of the sump with a bit it anyway. You can see my ATO and heater in there already. Going to the LFS tonight to buy a return pump and maybe  even some water... Stay tuned.

Oh, last shot - 

NJ9cA0t.jpg

Not sure if my old MP-10 is going to blow the top off, but we'll see soon enough. Sadly, the power strip part of my Reef Keeper is a bit broken from years of sitting in my garage. Only two of the plugs work, but that is good enough for heater/fan control I suppose... Sad day.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @andrewprime1! This is a really great build so far. I've always been fond of center mounted overflow boxes, it looks clean in the UNS tank. The herbie overflow should serve you well, and the external return line over the top of the tank looks clean. Best of luck at the LFS tonight!

andrewprime1

Wahoo! We have achieved wetness. 

LqdPM6v.jpg

I put in 17 gallons in total and the sump is as full as it can be without flowing over the top of the return baffle. I am going to drag out my nice camera now that there is water in the tank and take some proper shots this evening. Stay tuned!

• Like 2
andrewprime1

BRnn7Tc.jpg

Here she is, all 'scaped up and with the water cleared up. I am really happy with how it's turned out this far, and the Herbie is working like a charm.  Just to be sure, you do want a trickle of water coming down your emergency overflow, right?

There are a few plumbing issues that need to be addressed, though. For one, the return pump I bought from my LFS is impossibly, annoyingly loud. So I drunkenly impulse bought a Sicce Synchra "Silent" 1.0, which I really hope works out. I cheaped out and didn't buy an Aqua Medic D.C. Runner that caught my eye... hopefully that doesn't come

and bite me in the ass later.

It2UYYC.jpg

H2xUvx7.jpg

Aside from the return pump, my plumbing does need a little tweaking. The emergency overflow is just a piece of flexible tubing and wants to curve up and out of the sump. It makes a little noise, so I'll have to reimagine that. Then all that's left is to get my ATO set up at the proper levels and we are good to go. 

wSXMkeA.jpg

Some of my old dry rock got put in the sump, gonna throw some macro algae in there too, at leas until I get a sump

3R4ZEXD.jpg

You can see my old ATO floats here. I bought them from some guy years ago, does anyone recognize them? He used to make/sell them on Reef Central, but I can't recall his name.

I cant wait for the cycle to be finished so I can get some critters in there!!!

andrewprime1
22 hours ago, Ranjib said:

This is badass build :-)

Thanks a lot man, I am really excited to see how it turns out!

22 hours ago, JR! said:

For my Herbie I have a super tiny bit of water going down it. Just to skim the water in the overflow box

Okay, perfect. I was never able to get it to stay consistently below that top elbow. It seems to rise and fall about a cm every hour.

UDwdY70.jpg

It it seems I am having some bacterial bloom and the water is almost milky. I am just taking this as a sign the cycle has definitely started. 

get a good gate valve for the main drain line. it will solve 99% of any issues youll ever have. 

edit: a decent return pump that keeps a constant flow rate will help as well

andrewprime1
16 hours ago, JR! said:

get a good gate valve for the main drain line. it will solve 99% of any issues youll ever have. 

edit: a decent return pump that keeps a constant flow rate will help as well

Thank you! I have a nice gate valve and can get it close to fully dialed, but there is always some fluctuation. I figure it's normal and I'm not really concerned.

This just showed up at my office and now I have to look at it all day, taunting me!

unnamed.jpg

andrewprime1

First off, the Sicce pump is the tits!  At least 10 times quieter than my old one.  I'd recommend it to anyone. 

A quick update for you guys - I went to the LFS on Saturday, one week after I started the tank, and found that my cycle had definitely started. A bit of ammonia and high nitrates and nitrites.  Picked up a ball of some Cheato and some Chemipure Elite while I was there which I planed on no matter what.

I did a 50% water change when I got home and I plan on going back tomorrow to test my water once again.  I noticed that I didn't have very good movement in the sump, so I added a pump to keep things moving around in the "fuge" section. I also busted out the refractometer and found that my salinity was really low! Like, 1.019 low.

Mixed up some high salinity water and I have been using that for my top off. I am up to 1.021 as of writing this, so I still have a ways to go. Finally, an updated tank shot. You'll notice that I am in the algae-bloom section of the cycle.  I'll update you guys with the parameters tomorrow!

IMG_7808.JPG

• Like 2
andrewprime1

Okay, so still not quite ready critters. Here are my perimeters -

Nitrate - 15ppm
Nitrite - .25
PH - 8.1

They didn't test the ammonia (I spaced asking for it), but from what I recall from the nitrogen cycle, when the nitrite goes to zero, you've probably gotten rid of the ammonia too... uh, right? 

I bought some basic test strips and I'm gonna test every few days until those dern trites are totally gone. Hopefully I can at least get some crabs in here soon!

andrewprime1

So I checked my parameters again today and the nitrite is gone! My Nitrate is hovering around ~5ppm, so I figured I was safe to add two red leg hermits and four snails. Wanting to get a few softies soon, so long as the parameters stay good. 

• 4 weeks later...
andrewprime1

I have a done an update in a couple weeks  so I thought I would share. Things seem to be going really well, parameters are stable, and I have yet to add a fish. I did get a few snails and an emerald crab and everyone seems happy.

I also got two zoa frags, one a Rasta, the other an unknown but pretty, green eyed variety. I also got an unknown sps frag that seems to be doing okay. Time will tell.

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7943.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...