inTank Media Baskets

20 gallon long stocking

Chiliana

Hi y'all! 

I know that there are a ton of questions about stocking a 20 gallon, but I just wanted to know if my ideas are okay. BTW I have never kept a reef aquarium before, but I have kept many freshwater aquariums. Idk if that's relevant but whatever ? (Still need to buy lights after cycling.) 

My equipment: 

-18lbs+ live rock

-20 lbs of sand 

-100w heater 

-hang on the back filter for a 35 gallon aquarium 

-lights (I'm thinking about a pair of adjustable aqueons) 

My stocking plan so far:

- 1 fire fish 

-1 Goby (shrimp or sand sifting)

-2 clowns 

-1 cleaner shrimp 

My wish list/ other options

- I really want a jawfish....

-maybe a citron Goby? 

-(if the Goby is a shrimp Goby then a snapping shrimp) 

So far the only error my beginner eyes see is that the fire fish jump and I don't have a lid, and the 2 clowns might get too big. Maybe only 1 clown or skip the clowns altogether? Also, does anyone have any hardy, peaceful fish that they would reccomend? 

Btw, I am 14 and I have already paid for everything except the $90 lights myself so far. I have been saving up for 2 years so plz keep the flaming to a minimum ??

RIP Sebastian

What HOB filter are you using? I'd say 2 clowns, the goby, and the firefish and that's it. No jawfish. No citron goby with a shrimp goby.

1 minute ago, RIP Sebastian said:

What HOB filter are you using? I'd say 2 clowns, the goby, and the firefish and that's it. No jawfish. No citron goby with a shrimp goby.

It's one of those aqueon quiet flow filters. 

RIP Sebastian
Just now, Chiliana said:

It's one of those aqueon quiet flow filters. 

You might want to try an Aqua Clear with an inTank media basket.

flatlandreefer
5 hours ago, Chiliana said:

Btw, I am 14 and I have already paid for everything except the $90 lights myself so far. I have been saving up for 2 years so plz keep the flaming to a minimum ??

Thats great! 

I would stick to 4 fish. If you decide to go with a jawfish make sure to have plenty of sand and a lid is a must. I would recommend looking into a pink streaked wrasse for a small active fish that will utilize the whole tank. A tail spot blenny would be another good option imo. As far as goby shrimp pair I think a yasha would be a good option that remains small. Be sure to make sure the shrimp goby is paired before just dumping them in, mine never hooked up. Also be aware that there is a chance that the goby will set up camp somewhere where he will be rarely seen, this was the case for me unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, flatlandreefer said:

Thats great! 

I would stick to 4 fish. If you decide to go with a jawfish make sure to have plenty of sand and a lid is a must. I would recommend looking into a pink streaked wrasse for a small active fish that will utilize the whole tank. A tail spot blenny would be another good option imo. As far as goby shrimp pair I think a yasha would be a good option that remains small. Be sure to make sure the shrimp goby is paired before just dumping them in, mine never hooked up. Also be aware that there is a chance that the goby will set up camp somewhere where he will be rarely seen, this was the case for me unfortunately. 

Thank you! I was thinking about a tail spot blenny before so thank you. Also another Goby I was interested in is the diamond watchmen Goby. Are they to big to be in my tank? 

15 minutes ago, samnaz said:

get a lid!

I'm planning on it, but in the mean time I was going to put tinted window screen mesh over top 

flatlandreefer
2 minutes ago, Chiliana said:

Thank you! I was thinking about a tail spot blenny before so thank you. Also another Goby I was interested in is the diamond watchmen Goby. Are they to big to be in my tank? 

They grow to 6 inches which is pretty big, LA says minimum of 30 gallons so they don't need a whole lot of room but it might look a little out of place in a 20l imo. 

Just now, flatlandreefer said:

They grow to 6 inches which is pretty big, LA says minimum of 30 gallons so they don't need a whole lot of room but it might look a little out of place in a 20l imo. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking but thx for clearing it up : ) 

flatlandreefer

Look into green banded gobies, they only get a few inches long and there are a few member on here that love theirs, teenyreef would be one of them. 

2 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

Look into green banded gobies, they only get a few inches long and there are a few member on here that love theirs, teenyreef would be one of them. 

Ok  

fishfreak0114

I love my tailspot, they're so adorable!  As are clowns. Definitely gets lid when you can, it's never fun to find a shrivelled up fish on the floor!  Aquaclear filters are very good, they're easy to take apart for cleaning, and if you wanted to spend the money InTank makes a media basket for them. I joined the hobby when I was 14 too :) 

8 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I love my tailspot, they're so adorable!  As are clowns. Definitely gets lid when you can, it's never fun to find a shrivelled up fish on the floor!  Aquaclear filters are very good, they're easy to take apart for cleaning, and if you wanted to spend the money InTank makes a media basket for them. I joined the hobby when I was 14 too :) 

I've been looking at pics and videos of tail spots and I agree they are adorable. For a lid, can I just make one out of window screen mesh? Is that enough? It's cool that u joined when I were my age ?

RIP Sebastian
11 minutes ago, Chiliana said:

I've been looking at pics and videos of tail spots and I agree they are adorable. For a lid, can I just make one out of window screen mesh? Is that enough? It's cool that u joined when I were my age ?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-rimmed-tanks-1-8-netting.html

You may have to trim that a little.

I started when I was fourteen, too. :)

33 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

2 clowns and one other fish. 3 total.  Personally, I'd just do the clown pair and be done.

?

The filter you have is fine, i would just use media for salt water like filter floss and a good carbon in a media bag. Don't use the media made for the filter. 

All hobs work the same, some you just have to make your own media basket which is easy and cheap.

I've used every kind of hob, they all work the same.

I would recommend making your own tank cover. You can order mesh and window framing. If your tank is rimless you can also order the clips that hold the frames. 

Its really easy to make and cheap. Lots of diy videos.

As for fish, i'd do 2 clowns and another small fish. If you go with a tail spot blenny and 2 clowns, you could get a watchman goby too.

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The filter you have is fine, i would just use media for salt water like filter floss and a good carbon in a media bag. Don't use the media made for the filter. 

All hobs work the same, some you just have to make your own media basket which is easy and cheap.

I've used every kind of hob, they all work the same.

I would recommend making your own tank cover. You can order mesh and window framing. If your tank is rimless you can also order the clips that hold the frames. 

Its really easy to make and cheap. Lots of diy videos.

As for fish, i'd do 2 clowns and another small fish. If you go with a tail spot blenny and 2 clowns, you could get a watchman goby too.

Ok. Thank you. ??

Archived