SaltCritters.com

Nuvo 25 Lagoon Build

nuvo25lagoon

nuvo25lagoon
31 minutes ago, Nart said:

Correct - looks like the bio-load was too much for it so soon.

I would personally use Prime and Stability for a week and continue to closely monitor any spikes with Ammonia and Nitrite.

Prime helps to detoxify both Ammonia and Nitrite for 48 hours and you can also safely dose up to 5 times the amount. So if you are 1PPM Ammonia, you would dose 1x Prime, if you have 2PPM Ammonia, you dose 2x the Prime, and so forth.

You can perform water changes, but I always found for me... it delayed my cycle.

Maybe, if it got to 2PPM Ammonia, then consider doing a water change and dose Prime?

Also - you transferred all your rocks over as well? How long has your old tank been up and running? Strange that you would get a spike with your old rocks in the new tank.

For me, I always run Matrix bio-media in the back. Which builds a solid BB colony and I don't run into issues like this. Also, if I needed to set-up a quick QT tank. I can rely on my bio-media instead of messing with any rocks from the display tank. Just a food for thought.

I used all new rocks to start. There are 2 small rocks from my old tank, only because I couldn't get the rock anemones off of them. I had brought over a bag of Matrix that ran in my old tank about a month, and I have also added some Marinepure balls last week.

2 hours ago, nuvo25lagoon said:

I used all new rocks to start. There are 2 small rocks from my old tank, only because I couldn't get the rock anemones off of them. I had brought over a bag of Matrix that ran in my old tank about a month, and I have also added some Marinepure balls last week.

Ahh... that explains it, your bb colony on your existing stuff wasn't populated enough. It takes awhile for the bb colony to establish on bio-media in general.

But yeah, that's what I would do. If Ammonia creeps above 2PPM then do a water change and dose Prime. Otherwise to be safe, I would dose 2x Prime every 24 hours, this covers you every 24 hours, even though it says each dose is good for 48 hours. You would be covered jic and Prime can be dosed up to 5x safely. (Hope this makes sense).

Also dose Stability if you have it, though I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Tim's stuff... so your discretion.

nuvo25lagoon
3 minutes ago, HIppieRose said:

Love the pink.

Thanks! In real life they look like a pink highlighter. Hopefully they spread. 

• 2 years later...
TacticalMoses
On 3/17/2017 at 10:34 AM, nuvo25lagoon said:

Time to build the stand! My wife told me if I wanted to keep the tank downstairs, it needed to have a stand with clean lines, and look nice. The stand that was made for this tank was $300, So I decided to build my own. unnamed.thumb.jpg.8d9d33b19bcc21410adaa761736cc8dc.jpg

I did a basic design I found online for the tank

.Stand.thumb.jpg.3717752189be37ea5289d2f74f18d36b.jpg

I added a small shelf in there, and used some plywood for the bottom. I decided to use MDF for the paneling on the outside. I know MDF does not do well with water, but since i am using it for decorative purposes, I thought it would be ok. If they do warp in the future, I can always pull them off and make something new. To finish the MDF, I primed, painted, sand, paint, etc etc, then sealed it. With lots of work you can get MDF to be as smooth as glass!58cbf3cb16633_FinishedPanel.thumb.jpg.3bffa804fa56226fdb6d59abc0f5e50e.jpg

I started to play around with aquascaping. Even though I wanted a minimalist look, I don't think 11lbs will be enough. I have ordered more, and it should arrive on Monday.Scape1.thumb.jpg.202fa14a570f42e2d68a2f03c81e4aa1.jpgScape2.thumb.jpg.209581f3cf0c0c4c5ab85651c7bdd432.jpgScape3.thumb.jpg.d99d6cf00acb7a630a6e640dd5b65c82.jpg

Hello,

That looks awesome! I need to build one for my Fusion Nano 20. Any chance you have the plans for that stand? Thanks.