Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what kind of SPS?

revance

I found this piece of SPS in a colony of zoos someone gave me. It was pretty messed up and probably stung pretty bad at first. I removed a dead part and put it at the very top of my tank about 4" away from my lights. It appears to be healing and growing new polyps. Does anybody know what kind it is? I have a hard time telling the difference between various SPS (I don't know much about them).

I was going to get rid of it because I figured it would die in my tank, but since it appears to be healing I might give it a chance. I know the picture is poor quality, but does it look alright? All the polyps are fully extended.

I did some more searching around and I think it might be monti digis... anybody agree/disagree with this guess??? Here is a picture I found on a forum that looks kind of like it. The polyps look the same, but mine is more brown (probably because mine is under PC lighting).

EtOH_is_good

montipora and porite polyps look very similar. both are readily available, so could be either. all the porites i've come across go for cheap, so if it were a freebe i'd lean more towards porite.

yes, your ID is correct. Glue it to a rock high as possible (but not too high since it will need some room to grow).

Monti's are a lower light SPS so it may have a chance.

Dale

It wasn't free on purpose... someone was giving me some zoos he didn't want and this piece obviously broke off one of his corals and he didn't know it was there. Turns out he does have some montipora in the tank I got the zoos from (right above where the zoos were) so if you think it is either montipora or porite, I think it is probably monti. I will go ahead and research both anyway though. Thanks a lot!

Archived