Cultivated Reef

can anyone help?

kriche28

MedievalITGuy

Looks like bubble algae and maybe hair algae? Like dandelion said, circling what you're concerned about would help though.

40 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Bubble algae? Can you circle what you're referring to?

yea the bubble algae and the hair algae? i dont know what it is and do you know how to get rid of it?

47 minutes ago, MedievalITGuy said:

Looks like bubble algae and maybe hair algae? Like dandelion said, circling what you're concerned about would help though.

sorry i was only using my phone and dont know how to put circles on them ?

38 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

looks like hair algae if you are referring to the strains

yes the strains and the bubble algae. i dont know how to get rid of it.

the tank is imagitarium 3.7 gallon. 3 months old. 

There is no one solution to get rid of it. You need to know what is the source. What is your po4 level? What equipment you are running on your tank? How often and how much you do you feed? How often and how much of water change? what type of CUC do you have, and how big is your tank?

I was able to eliminated my hair algae and bubble algae problem by reducing the feeding, doing larger water change, and add Emerald crab. On the side of cautious, some Emerald Crabs do not touch bubble algae at all. Mine ate all the hair algae and bubble algae by him self.  

If they're loose frags I'd recommend taking them out, remove as much manually as you can, peroxide+saltwater bath for like 5 minutes then put back. Looks like they're glued down though. Other than reducing nutrients light and emerald crab, you can buy some insulin syringes and inject peroxide directly onto the affected area. With your tank size I wouldn't go more than 0.3mL a day. Stop your pumps for like 10 minutes as you do it.

Fortunately, most zoas are very hearty against h2o2.  GSP is virtually indestructible and should be available free.  (It should be taboo to charge for a weed like GSP, but that's another topic)  I would definitely start with manual removal and peroxide application if you can get the rocks out. Quicker action increases probability of full extermination.

The valonia is clear.  I can't tell if the other alga is hair, turf, or bryopsis.  Good luck.

I do water changes every week sometimes twice in a week. 1 gallon per water changes. 

CUC are 2 astrea and 1 trochus snails.

I have a clown in there because my niece wants one(shes 15 mos) but I am upgrading soon to a bigger tank. I do feed every other day or sometimes after 2 days. the tank is 3.7 gallon from petco.The light im using is a led wavepoint 12 watt. i run it 10hrs everyday, full spectrum 6hrs and actinic 4hrs. 

I will check on doing the syringe also.

Thank you ?

MedievalITGuy
34 minutes ago, kriche28 said:

I do water changes every week sometimes twice in a week. 1 gallon per water changes. 

CUC are 2 astrea and 1 trochus snails.

I have a clown in there because my niece wants one(shes 15 mos) but I am upgrading soon to a bigger tank. I do feed every other day or sometimes after 2 days. the tank is 3.7 gallon from petco.The light im using is a led wavepoint 12 watt. i run it 10hrs everyday, full spectrum 6hrs and actinic 4hrs. 

I will check on doing the syringe also.

Thank you ?

I've had some luck treating bubble algae on a new frag using h2o2 and a q-tip. I took the frag out of the water and applied the peroxide with the qtip, trying not to get too much on the zoas nearby. I haven't seen the algae since. Not saying this is a 100% sure method, but it's worth a try if you can remove the infected rock(s).

thank you for the advices :rolleyes: 

when i get home i will try the q-tip swab and the hydrogen peroxide. I will just remove them even if they are glued hehe 

21 minutes ago, kriche28 said:

thank you for the advices :rolleyes: 

when i get home i will try the q-tip swab and the hydrogen peroxide. I will just remove them even if they are glued hehe 

Try to manually pick out as much as you can before hand if you're already taking the frags out. Oh and if you burst a bubble, treat that area with peroxide coz the spores are inside.

54 minutes ago, kriche28 said:

well i think these are Aiptasia? :(

Certainly looks like so. If you're taking them out already you can probably just put super glue over it to smother it. 

Archived